PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Peter

linda040899
06-10-2006, 08:41 PM
No, I do not need another parrot, I do not need another parrot, but I just got another parrot. May I introduce Peter, a mature male Cockatiel who lost his 97 yr old owner about 2 months ago. He's a normal grey Tiel with a gorgeous yellow face and a cage that's entirely too small!!! I'm going to let him settle in a bit and then give him a cage that's more suited to his size. I would not even use the cage for a canary or a finch but Peter has been living in it since 2002. His feathering is very nice; his tail is not mangled or broken from the cage bars so one more night will be just fine.

Janie
06-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Awwwww......maybe you did not need another parrot but Peter did need you! :D Tiels are so sweet, pretty, too. I'm glad you're giving him a good home.

linda040899
06-10-2006, 09:18 PM
At the moment, Peter has never been handled so I basically have a wild Tiel. His cage was just so small that I couldn't stand watching him trying to maneuver around in it! While it's not a round cage, it's one of those that resembles a tiny house. Granted, Peter is stressed but he seems to like the extra space I just gave him. It's not the largest cage I have but he can at least spread his wings and flap them, which he couldn't do in his other cage. He's got 2 mirrors ( :( ) and no toys but you know that will change quickly, too.

Janie
06-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to know that little guy can finally spread his wings! :):):) Just imagine how happy he'll be with toys! :D

linda040899
06-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Janie,
I realize that it was a quick change but I just absolutely could not stand to see him in the tiny cage he had!! It just drove me wild. His original owner probably didn't know any better so he's lived in that tiny cage since 11/2002. Not here and never again! The next bird show in this area is next month but there's also a vendor at our local flea market that has some nice bird toys (surprisingly!). I've got a Tiel size swing but the cage I just gave Peter isn't big enough for it. I have a feeling that this cage is just temporary, too. I have one that's even bigger.......

sdgilley
06-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Linda,
That's great! Peter is one LUCKY bird! Do you have any idea how old he is? Tiels are sweet birds.

linda040899
06-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Suzanne,
The person who gave the Tiel to me is a long time friend of my oldest daughter. He told me that no one knows anything about this Tiel but there was a note taped to the bottom of the cage that said his name is Peter and he was acquired in 11/2002. The lady had Alzheimer's so she had to write down everything. Thank goodness she did or we wouldn't even know Peter's name! The date makes him about 3.5, at least. He's not been around any birds since 2002 so my home is quite a surprise/shock to him. I also waived quarantine for him, as anything he might have had would have killed him by now. Considering the size of the cage he lived in, I'm amazed at the condition of his feathering.

Janie
06-11-2006, 07:59 AM
He's not been around any birds since 2002 so my home is quite a surprise/shock to him. I also waived quarantine for him, as anything he might have had would have killed him by now.

:lol......I'll bet he's in birdie heaven! I don't think there is a single bird that doesn't enjoy being around other birds, even if they are separated by a cage. (HA! Oliver just flew off me, down the stairs and to the chair next to the bird room cause he's had enough of me and is ready to get back to the boys!)

Linda, I just love a rescue story! I'll just bet that Peter will take on a whole new personality when he settles in to a new cage and being around other birds. :D

Blossom
06-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Lucky Peter! Looking forward to pictures.

bellarains
06-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Linda,

You are terrible!!!!! Here I am trying to resist another bird, and you go out and get one. What kind of influence are you?????:rofl:

Maybe Jennifers tiel will like Peter. That would be great company for both of them if they do take to each other. I'm just a romantic at heart:)

linda040899
06-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Lori,
I didn't actively go out looking for Peter! :) He just kind of wound up at my place and I couldn't say no. I don't need another parrot but I'm a pushover for a much needed rescue!

It would be very nice if I could get Peter and Fiona (Jennifer's Tiel) to become friends/companions. I tried it once before with a much younger male and Fiona wasn't having any of it at that time! They are across the room from each other at the moment so we'll see what happens.

His former owner spent a lot of time with him. She just didn't take him out of his cage. She loved him very much and he got good care, considering her limited knowledge of birds and the fact that her family knows zilch about parrots.

Here I am trying to resist another bird, and you go out and get one. What kind of influence are you?????
~Methinks your extra cage needs an occupant!~

BarbieH
06-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Congratulations Peter!! In all the world, you couldn't have found a better home. :):):)

shylevon
06-12-2006, 03:52 AM
Usually introductions go along with pictures. Whazzup????

Welcome to ownership by the 'Greatest Birdie Momma in the World', Peter!!!

mjm8321
06-12-2006, 12:01 PM
I agree Shy, what about pics. Then again, I've been slacking with pictures lately so maybe I'll just hush about that. ;)
Congrats, lucky Peter!! He'll really enjoy the bigger cage and happy, healthy environment quickly. A couple of months back, we "acquired" our fourth tiel, a lutino male named JoJo, who sat in a little cage at the pet store for a year without anyone handling him or really interacting except to feed, water and change his cage. The store owner felt so guilty, he asked us to simply take him home and give him a good home. JoJo has a cataract in one eye and no one knows how old he is, but he's quite enjoying his larger cage, toys and tiel neighbors. He's actually becoming vocal now and chatting with the other boys.
I'll bet Peter will be a happy bunny in no time.