PDA

View Full Version : Is It Time?

martyv
06-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Ok, my new lovebird has now been in my home for 3 days. He jumps around the cage, especially when I sit with him outside (he seems to like it there), and he has ventured outside of his cage to explore. Do you think now is a good time to try and see if he will bond with me? Should I take him to a room and just sit in the floor with the cage door open? Also can anyone here tell his aproximate age is I post a picture?

MV

bellarains
06-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi MV,

It does sound like he (name please) is settling in with his new surroundings. You can open the door and see if he will come out and just hang out with you for awhile. Offer him a finger to step up, but if he doesn't, let him come out on his own, and try the step up again later.

Remember to birdy proof the room you are letting him out in. No mirrors, open toilets, etc...

You can post a pic, but if he is older than 3 months or slightly older, we may not be able to help on age.

Good luck on the bonding:)

kimsbirds
06-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Do you think now is a good time to try and see if he will bond with me?

Bonding doesn't happen in just one day, and there is nothing "special" you need to do to encourage it. Bonding just happens. With time. Patience. Consistency. Oh, and patience. Each day your lovie spends with you will increase their trust in you. Remember too, that there are many definitions of "bonded". Some may consider simply sitting together 'bonded'. Some others may think more along the lines of spending every second having a bird velcroed to you, sharing food etc. Maybe giving kisses. Maybe just sitting a few feet apart, chirping at each other (yep, ya gotta chirp LOL)
Your bird will bond to you over time...when he learns you can be trusted to provide his food, water, toys, clean housing, entertainment etc.
Always let birdie set the pace. Forcing something only pushes your progress backward. This may take a few weeks, this may take months. It all depends on what you consider bonded. Each relationship with a lovebird is different from the others. You'll find what works for you and birdie. In time.

Best of Luck
Kimmie

shylevon
06-14-2006, 04:45 AM
It is very difficult to tell a birdies age after six months, and impossible after one year.

If he has not had his first big molt, and gotten his darker, richer colored, adult feathering, he is still under six months. If he has his big boy feathers, but is still pretty thin in the chest, he is over six months, but probably under one year. If he still has black on his beak, he is under eight weeks.

Taming works well in a quiet room, dim lights, no distractions, covered mirrors and windows. The bathroom usually works well, if it is clean. Have him sit on your finger, and give him 'step-up' training, which means he steps from one finger to the other as you offer it in front of him. Do that for only five to ten minutes at a time. Birdies get bored, and he will want to play. Scritches around the neck and ears are nice too. (A scritch is a little scratch and tickle)
If feathers fluff up or he gets aggitated, stop whatever you are doing. Birds bite as a last resort, when they can find no other successful method of communicating with their owners. If your bird learns that you will not listen to him unless he bites you, you have taught him a lesson that will take a very long time to unlearn.

Good Luck, and have fun.