PDA

View Full Version : Attention ?

Jerry
06-13-2006, 09:19 PM
My new bird has been home aobut two weeks now and he is used to the environment, I think.

He is working over my cuticles and starting to bite a bit too hard. I cannot decide if he needs more of my direct attention. We cuddle and he does need that type of attention, but I am wondering if he needs me to "play" also?

Do you find that your bird needs direct playtime interraction? I have thought that he may be testing his limits...not sure. I am away all day at work, but he is out with me as I get ready for work and when I get home.

I would appreciate your advice....he is a great bird, but I don't want to feel that he is going to always get carried away with the biting.

TIA

- Jerry

bellarains
06-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi Jerry,

Yep, you can play with him. Play with his toys, and show him how they "work", and you can also get a ball with a bell inside. This is one of my birds favorite things. They love to pick it up and throw it. Of course you are supposed to go get it immediately so they can do it again:rolleyes: Anyway, by all means, play away. You are his flock, and he needs his playtime with his buddy:)

butterfly1061
06-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Jerry,

If I'm not mistaken, your bird is around 4 months old, right? He's in his "teenage years" so to speak. This biting will pass, but in the meantime, I agree with Lori, play with him. One game I play with Molly is if I'm wearing an open shirt or sweater, I pull it over Molly and say "Where's Molly?". Then I take it off and say "There he is!". He gets sooo excited and I do this a few times. When he was very young, I played this with a towel. It also taught him not to be afraid of towels. Just about anything you play with in your hands tells your lovie that it's ok and won't hurt him. Some items may take a little longer with the trust issue, but eventually they come around. :2cents:

bubble
06-14-2006, 12:25 AM
yup, my lovies like to throw the ball on the floor and i have to fetch it. they also like to sit on my back and i crawl around their room. two of my fids like to play rough, i flip them over so their backs are on my palm. i love every moment of it, can't wait to get home everyday!!

BarbieH
06-14-2006, 07:53 AM
As the others said, play with him ... and for now, keep your fingers away from his beak. :)

LauraO
06-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Most of my baby lovebirds over the years have gone through a bitey phase. Of course, direct attention is always great for both you and your lovie, but the biting might continue over the next several months.