PDA

View Full Version : Alarm! Alarm!

TGerard
05-28-2005, 05:59 PM
We came home from a visit at Barb's parent's house and noticed that the birds were upset over something. They were doing the "Hey! Something's wrong! We're scared! Make things better!" call. (You know the one.) After looking around, we saw the source of their freakout. A wall-mounted plant had detatched from the wall and crashed down on the kitchen table! To make things worse, the pot landed on an etched glass Mikasa bowl that was a wedding gift!:mad: Bits of glass, dirt and aloe vera decorated the table and floor. I post this to A: vent and B: be an example of what not to do: never use plastic drywall anchors to support anything over a couple of pounds. Toggle anchors or mounting directly into a wall stud is the only way to go. Also, don't use a plant hanging bracket that only has two screw mounts that are only 2 inches apart. After further analysis, this bracket is probably better suited as a cieling mounted one. I am the master of screwing things up, so learn by my follies.

linda040899
05-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Oh my goodness, Tim!
I have the same problem with my walls and try not to hang anything that is heavy or is not securely anchored in the wall.

The positive side of the lesson is that there were no live injuries! Hopefully, the plant can be repotted and it will be OK, too. Some of my best lessons were learned the hard way.

bellarains
05-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Ooops,

How many of us have said that???? All of I'm sure Tim. Vent on!!!!!

Good watch birdie you have there :)

Lori

Buy A Paper Doll
05-28-2005, 06:56 PM
This has been a fear of mine since I moved into this house! Our interior walls have metal studs, not wood, so they're no good for hanging anything up. And the exterior walls are concrete cinder block. You can imagine what a pain it is to hang something up when you have to drill into concrete every time .... no changing your mind once it's up there!

I was just thinking, there is a large clock hanging on the wall near Melody's cage. It's not directly over it, but if it were to fall, it would probably scare her half to death. I'll be rearranging the bird cages tonight ...

BarbieH
05-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Tim didn't tell you the worst part: There was a banana in that Mikasa bowl. It got smushed and I think the birds knew ...