PDA

View Full Version : Can birds recognise words?

margemcsimpson
06-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I was wondering if birds recognise human words? Every time i say Peaches, he whistles and every time i say 'birds' Chico whistles?

linda040899
06-21-2006, 06:09 PM
My own personal thoughts are that birds recognize words via association. Ginger, my CAG, will go into her cage on command. If she's somewhere she doesn't belong, "go home, Ginger" will cause her to return to her own cage. I think all birds have similar abilities.

bellarains
06-21-2006, 06:13 PM
I agree. My birds know "hello,birdie bread,peek-a-boo, kiss, I love you, and thank you" very well. These are things that I say to them on a consistent basis, and my male lovie, and my GCC can say a couple of them. Bela, my male lovie doesn't say things very plainly, but it's evident what he is saying.

shylevon
06-22-2006, 05:49 PM
My birds all know their names, and with eight of them, that makes things easier. If one of them goes where I don't want them to be, I call their name and they always look. The other seven will not, so I know that they know who I am talking to.

They also know the phrase, 'Momma's gonna pull your tail feathers.' That is my term of endearment towards them, and they shake their tails and look so proud and happy that momma addressed them.

Janie
06-22-2006, 06:04 PM
They also know the phrase, 'Momma's gonna pull your tail feathers.' That is my term of endearment towards them, and they shake their tails and look so proud and happy that momma addressed them.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

All three of mine know their names and since I say the same things, over and over to them, they recognize a lot of that, too. When I say, "Big Boi, wanna swing?" he hops right onto the leather strip that I use to "help" him swing. Oliver answers every word I say to him with a chirp of some kind and he appears to know when I'm addressing him instead of the other two. None of mine talk a word of human talk, :lol, but I think they understand, as Linda said, by association.

butterfly1061
06-22-2006, 08:39 PM
All of mine know their names. Well, except for Olivia - she's stubborn :rolleyes: They know these words/phrases: night-night, bath, stinky bird, woo woo!!! (means I'm going to vacuum).

Molly know thoses and these: What's that?, Who's that?, Fly to me, Where's Molly?, Who's that pretty birdy?, swishy-swishy (his favorite), wash the dishes, Where's Molly's bell?, thirsty, drink, treat, up-up, & No. :2cents: