PDA

View Full Version : Reasonable price for lovebirds

Katy
06-22-2006, 10:36 AM
So if you missed my other thread, I own two lovebirds who are siblings. Since talking to their breeders, we've come to the decision that they should be separated mostly because of fighting as well as them possibly trying to breed.

These guys were hand raised, and are very tame. They're approximately 2.5 months old. At pet stores around here, hand-tamed lovebirds go for $179+ tax, so $205 tax included. They really aren't that tame, they won't come to you, although they may perhaps sit on your shoulder if you can eventually catch one. What do you guys suggest a reasonable price for my lovie would be? Canadian price, as I am in Halifax. I was thinking around $150 would be okay. Does that sound too low? I want my baby to go to someone who really will take good care and spoil him as much as I would.

My other question is which one do I keep? Presuming one's a male and one's a female, what are the pros and cons to each? I'm having a hard time deciding which one would be best to keep. They are both healthy, one's a little more squaky and bite-y than the other, but those problems could be easily fixed if he's bonding to me, and not another bird. I'm just worried about the less dominant one (the quieter, more gentle one) that (s)he'll become depressed. I know the dominant one wouldn't because he's so outgoing. I don't know :( I'd love to keep them both, but I don't know if I really can. :cry:

Janie
06-22-2006, 11:21 AM
I can't imagine parting with either of my boys who are brothers but if I had to make that decision, I would keep the one that would be the least desirable of the two. If you have one that is very tame, chances are that it would not continue to be re-homed and who ever takes it would hopefully keep it forever. If you give up the one that is more aggressive, it might not be well received in a new home and be passed on....and on and on. Having said that, I only wanted males and that is why I paid to have them DNA'd before I bought them. I have a feeling (just a guess w/o DNA) that your more aggressive one could be the hen. Several members on the forum have wonderful hens and are very happy with them but hens do lay eggs and are more protective of their cage (usually). As far as what to ask for the one you want to sell, I have no idea. I've heard all my life that a pet is treated better if someone pays for it but I don't believe that for a second. My Oliver was a "free" bird, cage and all and he could not have found a better home than he has with me. I would not sell one of my birds but if I had to let one go, I would give them to a home that I knew would love them like I do.

When you do get another bird, the sex you would want depends on the sex of the one you keep. If you keep the male (assuming that one of the two of yours is a male) *I* would get another male. If you keep what you think might be the female and you don't want to breed, you can get another female but in many/most cases, females can't be caged together. There are times when they get along and can live together in one cage but not nearly as often as two males. I think you need to have both of your DNA'd before you make a decision and also have the one that you would buy DNA'd before you buy it. BTW, if someone in a pet store or even a breeder tries to tell you that they know the sex of a peachface w/o DNAing it, don't believe it. It is only a 50-50 guess unless it's an older bird who has laid eggs.

Katy
06-22-2006, 11:56 AM
The one that is most aggressive is named Cash, so from day 1, he's been "the boy". About a week after getting him, I definately seen very hen-like qualities. I'm almost positive he's a hen. He also hasn't really bonded with me. The other one, Fiesta (who I've been calling a female, is presumably a male, or just a female with male qualities) she's much more shy. She was born second, and is thinner than Cash. I love them both and wouldn't want to part with either of them, but the breeders told me it would be for their own good. I'd love to just give one away to someone (after atleast 5 or 6 visits with the bird ofcourse) But I really cannot afford to do that. I've put almost $1000 CDN into my birds already. I really would appreciate a small portion of that back if possible.

LauraO
06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
To be honest, I would keep both and make the appropriate adjustments. I do have one pair who are siblings but from different clutches and they have laid eggs that I boil so they never hatch. I also have pairs where there is one dominant, and even aggressive lovie but they co-exist happily. There is no reason why these two cannot both stay apart of your family, especially since you already got another cage. However, if you insist on finding one a new home I TOTALLY AGREE with Janie in that you should keep the less desirable of the two. I have done, and continue to do this on a regular basis. When my birds had bred in the past I kept the most wild, bitey ones and found homes for the most friendly and pretty ones. This way, I feel the lovies have a better chance at having a good life as I can deal with bitey, non interested in human lovies but others may not.

Money is irrelevant and it's all about finding the best home for a lovie. I have sold and given away countless lovies and I disagree with the thought that charging is more guarantee that birds/pets will find loving homes. To be honest, the best homes I've found have been to those I've given lovies too and they also keep in contact more than others.

Anyway, Good Luck and please think hard about keeping both lovies. A new home is not really necessary or good for the either lovie:cry: :cry: .

bellarains
06-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Katy,

The decision is yours of course, but like some of the others, I would try and keep them both. They may possibly get along better down the road a bit, but then again, maybe not. It would be a chance you would take. Choosing which one to keep will be the hard decision I'm sure.

Lovebird, handfed and tame here in the US go from anywhere around $40.00-$90.00. As you want a really good home, I would feel out any prospects for a new home, and if you get someone you feel really good about, negotiate at that time for price. I know you've taken very good care of them, and that's primarily what I think you are looking for in a new owner.

The only difference between males and females that I know of is of course laying eggs. Most hens become a bit territorial at this time, and you do loose your girl for at least a month(assuming there's no babies with a single hen). It does take a short while to re-bond after the nesting period. I don't have a problem with Lacey so much, but I do also try to interact with her on some level everyday when she is on nest. She gets a bit nasty when I first open the nestbox lid, but after I sit and talk to her awhile, she seems to appreciate the company:)

Good luck with your decison.

Katy
06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Okay. Well I put out one ad on a local website. If no one calls me or if someone calls, but I don't think they are good enough for my baby, then it will mean that I was meant to keep both birds. I think I'm just really scared of finding a dead bird one day.... >o Or having to keep boiling their eggs.... and not bonding with either of them. But maybe this seperate cage thing will work out great. I haven't given it much of a chance yet. Would letting them play outside the cage seperately help with that do you think?

butterfly1061
06-22-2006, 08:44 PM
I have 4 lovies and my females are paired and my males are paired. They all have their own cage, but they all come out of the cage together. I can leave two in the birdroom to play while I have have the other two out with me in the living room (the two rooms are next to each other). I would try for separate cages and let them have supervised out of cage time together. You will find a happy medium as time goes by. Good Luck! :)

bubble
06-22-2006, 09:42 PM
i guess i am a lucky mom, my 14 fids can stay in their room without too much problem. some of them don't get along but they don't usually bother each other, of course there are fights but up to now nothing more than feet biting. i have 4 cages in the room but never closed or locked, they go in and out as they wish, their wings are not clipped at all but the room is bird proof.
they are mom and dad, brothers and sisters from different clutches. they do pair up and yes they have eggs and i just have to boil all of them. i think they are happier with mates but they are also bond to me. one bird would be too lonely if you can't be with him/her most of the time.
how much are you asking for on your ad?? any luck yet?? i hope your baby can find a loving home.

Katy
06-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, I asked $150, since I paid $179 +tax (15%) for each. No one has called me yet, I only put out that one internet add. But they're seeming to do much better with the two cages. I let them out to play at the same time, but they didn't seem as interested in one another as usual. Since they're doing so much better, I'm almost hoping no one will call now :) especially since I'm unable to delete the ad I've posted. So I guess if someone calls, I'll say it had been sold. I just feel horrible putting one in a smaller cage than the other. Should I rotate days? For example put one in the smaller cage on monday, then put the other in the smaller cage on tuesday...ect? I don't want it to seem like I love one more than the other.