PDA

View Full Version : The noise!!!!

CaptMicha
06-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Daisy, Clover and I have overcome many, many obstacles that come with being a peach face lovebird. They're as close to perfect as possible except for the screaming.

I don't mind it when I leave my room but if there's any light and they're not in their bedroom (my closet) and I'm in the room they keep screaming. They only take breaks to eat and maybe take a nap.

If anyone knows how loud these kind of birds are, imagine trying to watch tv with that going on.

Is there ANYTHING I can try?

P.S. I don't mean the terrified kind of scream, I meant the "chirping" if you can call it that.

Kathryn
06-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Chirp back and give them attention, talk to them.
Set a routine where you spend time interacting with the birds and time when you don't. Keep the routine.
Then provide plenty of toys for them to entertain themselves both in and out of their cage when you are not interacting with them.
Lovies are community birds...if you don't join the community, they will still communicate on their schedule/routine....not yours.
Keep the volume of the TV at a comfortable level. Birds have a keen sense of hearing. They may be competing with the TV for your attention.
Until you are so familiar with their different chirps, you won't be able to tune out their "conversations". Just like a parent with playfully noisy children..you will know when the conversation needs immediate attention and when you can "tune it out". Welcome to lovie parent land.:happy:

CaptMicha
06-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Oh, I know all about that. But even loving parents need a little peace and quiet. My mom tells me that all the time!

CaptMicha
06-24-2006, 01:46 AM
It's kind of cute really in a loud way. They get so excited when I come into the room, they start "chattering" away.

bellarains
06-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Micha,

I tend to think my birds are not very loud, but then again, some people think they are. I guess it's a little about how it's perceived. I love the sounds of my birds, so it doesn't bother me, or it's just a part of my everyday surrounding noise, and I'm used to it. It does however sound loud to anyone that is not used to it, or does not care for the bird chatter, as you put it.

You can give them a little break, and cover their cage for a nap time. This may give their chatter a little break. You being in the room will give them cause to chatter though, as you are their flock, and they are just including you. I agree, it is rather sweet:)

Katy
06-27-2006, 05:44 PM
My birds "scream" I know what you mean. I have no problem with their regular chirping and noise. But when they scream (out of excitement, maybe?) it literally tickles my ears its so loud. Sometimes they'll scream for 45 minutes straight at a time. Covering the cage with a sheet works best for mine.

kate
07-27-2006, 09:21 PM
How about the "screaming" when you leave the room?
Our lovebird is so loud it hurts our ears. He only seems to do this when I leave the room. I like the fact that he enjoys me in the living room with him in his cage or out but it is driving my family crazy if I'm not able to stay. He will let everyone hold him and play with him but if I've been in the room and leave he goes crazy. Covering his cage helps just a little but I hate to cover it just because I'm not there.
I'm wondering if we made a mistake, it's been about a month since we got him. He is precious though. I didn't know they could be so loud. Help please?

butterfly1061
07-27-2006, 09:29 PM
When you are not in the room with them and they call out, they are actually calling to you. Be sure to call back to them whether it's a whistle or talking to let them know you are still around. After a while, they will understand that you are still in the vicinity and the screaming/calling out will lessen. You are part of their flock and when you leave the room it is instinctive that they know where you are. Also, do not cover their cage just because of the "noise". All of what you are expeirencing is part of their nature. It's like the poop, it comes with the territory and you have to get use to it.

kate
07-27-2006, 09:42 PM
When you are not in the room with them and they call out, they are actually calling to you. Be sure to call back to them whether it's a whistle or talking to let them know you are still around. After a while, they will understand that you are still in the vicinity and the screaming/calling out will lessen. You are part of their flock and when you leave the room it is instinctive that they know where you are. Also, do not cover their cage just because of the "noise". All of what you are expeirencing is part of their nature. It's like the poop, it comes with the territory and you have to get use to it.
Oh thank you, thank you! We will do what you have said here, calling back to him when not in the room and not covering his cage (we haven't really covered it too much). Should we just cover it when we go to bed? Thanks again for the help.

butterfly1061
07-27-2006, 09:46 PM
I only cover my birds cages completely when they go night-night. If their cage is in front of a window where sun hits it, I cover one-half so they have somewhere to get out of the sun/heat.

Kiwi'smom
07-27-2006, 10:33 PM
I agree with the chirp back suggestion. Mine will get nervous if they haven't seen me for awhile. They'll start screeching and chattering till I come in talk and maybe check thier water and give them each some attention.
Now Kiwi is another story he thinks I am his mate and will scream until I come and get him and give him attention. When I put him in his cage he just talks and talks.
I think once you start answering thier calls you will find them setteling down. Let us know how this works. I wish you luck with adjusting to the noise.
Josie
PS Try leaving a tv on even when you are not in the room so they get use to the noise of the tv. That way when you cut it on they don't start freaking about all the new noises.