PDA

View Full Version : Updates and Questions

Finnysmommie
06-26-2006, 01:20 AM
Hi all,
I know it has been forever since I have been on. Wanted to give you all an update on Finny and Evie. As you may remember I was very discouraged that Evie was not friendly and did not like us and would only bond with Finny. Well I am happy to report that as of just this week.... She will now get up on my finger and let me play with her a bit. She also just tonight gave me kisses..3 of them!!!! She likes to sit on my head and shoulders now too and will play with any strings I have on my shirts. So I am very happy about this!!! It has taken so long and I was so discouraged.

The question now....Finny and Evie have lived together for several months now and are very obviously in love. But, I do not think hey have ummmm you know whated at all. They are both of age to do it but so far it seems they have not. They feed each other and sleep side by side and do the kissy and grooming thing and cannot stand to be seperated but no "action". Is this normal? Is there a particular season for that?

Any and all responses are appreciated :-)

Thanks
Finnysmommie (and Evies too).
Cindy

archer
06-26-2006, 01:36 AM
Are you sure you have a male and a female? Kissing and bonding doesn't mean they are opposite in gender. You might want to check in that...

LauraO
06-26-2006, 01:58 AM
Cindy: It's great to hear from you, Finny and Evie!!!!!! I'm also glad to hear that Evie has made some progress. You've experienced what it's like to have a lovebird to win over:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . I would say relish in the non-breeding activity of Finny and Evie cause once they start it's VERY HARD to get them to stop. I would also say their bahavior is very normal as all birds, like humans and any other creatures, are individuals. It may be that her and Finny are still getting to know each other, maybe their mating but no eggs are laid, maybe it's not the season, maybe conditions aren't right, or maybe Evie's not interested in having babies. It's hard to say what's up, but as long as everyone's happy who care 8) 8) .

Janie
06-26-2006, 09:43 AM
. I would say relish in the non-breeding activity of Finny and Evie cause once they start it's VERY HARD to get them to stop.

I sure do agree with that! As Archer asked, are you sure you have a male and a female? My two boys are as loving as a pair can be (most of the time, :D) so it doesn't take an opposite sex pair to have a bonded pair.

Great to hear that Evie is learning to trust you! :)

mjm8321
06-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Hi Cindy! Good to see you and glad to hear that Evie is warming up some. It can take a while, but with patience, she'll come around more.

I agree with Laura, if they are not showing signs of wanting to breed, put them off for as long as you can unless you absolutely want babies. They can be very hard to stop breeding once starting.

I do have a couple of pairs that are simply good pals it seems, no mating behavior but very bonded to each other. As long as they are happy, so am I.

shylevon
06-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Sometimes birds just aren't in the mood. Mine will go months without doing the deed, then suddenly, you won't be able to keep them off each other. In fact, since I set up my aviary over a year ago, the only two I've seen knocking boots is Danae and Nereus, and they are both females, so you know nothing came of that.

I think if birdies are not really comfortable with their surroundings, they will not go at it, but there are lots of other reasons too.

Finnysmommie
07-01-2006, 01:42 AM
Thanks for all the answers, as always I appreciate you all so much :-)

To answer the question of the sex of my lovies...
Yes both have been DNA tested and are male and female.

I think you are all right about the not wanting them to start ummm "knocking feathers" cause I dont want have them at it all the time.

Again, ty ty all so much and I will keep an eye out to see what they are up to.

Cindy