PDA

View Full Version : Some random questions about my lovebird

Edd781
06-26-2006, 11:34 PM
I recently got a lovebird from a friend because he couldn't take care of it and had a few questions. I already had my lovebird for about 2 1/2 weeks, and it is still afraid of me. It is fine with taking millet spray with me holding it, going onto backrest of thechair right next to my head, and sometimes even on my pants. When I get close, it bites/tries to bite me.:confused: I think its "stick trained" if its when it goes onto the perch you offer it.
Well, i'll list some of my questions now.

1. Do the bites usually bleed? When my bird bites me, it doesn't bleed most of the time, but sometimes it bleeds a lot and hurts>:

2. I am thinking of buying another one so it has company since it won't hang with me, but would I have to get it sexed or can I just buy another. It also shirps a lot when it hears otherbirds outdoors so I think its sort of lonley. It also starts chirpping at around 6 in th emorning so my parents get really mad.

3. How much on average would it cost to get the beak trimmed and the wings clipped? I don't want to do it since I never did it before so I want to take it to the bet.

4. Theres a cloth that my bird likes to fly in and snuggle against when I let it outside. Should I buy something like that for the cage?

Thanks for the help so far and I'll try to post some more questions later on.

shylevon
06-27-2006, 12:51 AM
1. Do the bites usually bleed? When my bird bites me, it doesn't bleed most of the time, but sometimes it bleeds a lot and hurts
Some birds bite very hard, and the bites will bleed. If a bird bites, it is usually because it is afraid or doesn't like what you are doing. Try to learn the body language of your bird, so you will know when he is about to bite, and stop doing whatever it is you were doing.

2. I am thinking of buying another one so it has company since it won't hang with me, but would I have to get it sexed or can I just buy another. It also shirps a lot when it hears otherbirds outdoors so I think its sort of lonley. It also starts chirpping at around 6 in th emorning so my parents get really mad.
Young birds chirp more than birds that are a little older. Try covering your birds cage at night, so he will sleep in longer in the morning. As for getting another bird...I would probably get him DNA sexed so you will better know what sex to get him for a friend.

3. How much on average would it cost to get the beak trimmed and the wings clipped? I don't want to do it since I never did it before so I want to take it to the bet.
Beak trimming is not recommended for lovebirds unless there is a health problem that requires trimming due to overgrowth. Wing clips usually cost about 25 dollars, depending on the vet, but you can learn to do it yourself.

4. Theres a cloth that my bird likes to fly in and snuggle against when I let it outside. Should I buy something like that for the cage?
When you say 'outside' I assume you mean out or it's cage, not actually outside of the house. Don't take a bird out of the cage out of doors or you will soon lose your birdie altogether. If he has a snuggle cloth, it is good to have one inside the cage also. Ensure it does not have too much fleece that birdie can chew off and swallow or he may get an impacted crop.

Edd781
06-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Ok, thanks. And yes, I meant outside as in outside the cage. Where do you suggest putting the cloth though? I don't want it to poop all over it and have to wash it very often. I have the bird in the dining room (we eat in another room) where we usually don't go around but it can get pretty noisy in the morning. Should I put it somewhere like an isolated room or where theres little noise? And thank you for the help so far.

Katy
06-27-2006, 06:58 AM
You should put your bird in a room where there is lots of activity going on. They like to watch us silly humans.

bellarains
06-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Hi,

First I would recommend reading through some links in the lovebird resource library here. There is much to learn about lovie ownership, and you can find most of it there. Of course you will have many questions like the ones you have asked, and we will be more than happy to help you learn all there is to know on how to care for your little one, BTW, does s/he have a name?

The cloth you asked about will have to be washed often, as will most of your lovies things. You need to wipe down the cage to clean off poop from the grate, toys, perches, etc... on a daily basis, and give the cage a thorough cleaning about once a month. I use a 10% bleach 90% water mixture to clean and disinfect when cleaning monthly. This is to help keep your little one from getting a bacterial infection. Also any fresh foods should not be left in the cage for more than 2-3 hours, as bacteria starts to grow after that time.

If your lovie likes the cloth, you can also get him/her a cozy tent, or happy hut. I give mine this at night to sleep in, but do take it out during the day, as it can cause them to be aggressive if a hen, but it's also a safety precaution. If you do put a tent in, check it daily to make sure your lovie is not chewing holes in it, and for loose threads. They can get stuck if you find either of these, and it will be time for a repair, or a new tent. Mine do not chew theirs, but some do.

I pay $10.00 for a wing clip at my avian vet, and I do recommend a partial wing clip for your birds safety, and also to help you bond with him/her easier. A partial clip is 4-6 flights off each wing, depending on your birds flying capabilities. It still allows some flight, but it will be limited to short distances, and low height and speed. There are many opinions on clipping wings, but I think this still allows the bird to be flighted as they should be, just safe in the confines of our homes.

The dining room is fine to keep your lovie in, as long as s/he can get the 10-12 hours of sleep they need at night. Mine are also in the dining room, as this is close to the living room, gives them time with us, but I can also cover them at bedtime, turn out the lights, and they get their sleep. The one thing you should be aware of is Teflon speaking of the dining room. Teflon is deadly to birds, and should not be used cooking around them. If you all have any Teflon, you will need to relay this information to your family, and replace it. I say replace because if it is left in the house, someone will forget, use it, and could quiet possibly kill your little one accident:(

I look forward to hearing of your progress, and please post us some pics of your little one when you get some in the photo forum.

Whew!!!! Sorry so long, but as I said, there is much to learn on caring for these little ones. There are many hazards to be aware of, diet, health care, etc..... but we will help all we can:)

Janie
06-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Yep, the Lovebird Resource Library is a great place to gather information. Also check the behavior section for previous post that can give you some very good tips on taming a bird. I would definitely get this bird DNA'd before adding a second bird. If you do decide to buy a buddy, you'll also need to get that one DNA'd. You do not need to have birds that are the opposite sex for them to bond. Two males usually do get along better than two females and if you get one that is the opposite sex, you could end up with lots of babies so unless you want to get into breeding, I'd stick with one gender.

I pay $12 for a wing clip if it's done by my avian vet. Otherwise, I pay ZERO if it's done at my favorite bird specialty store. They will clip any bird bought from their store for free and while I did not get my birds from them, I am a good customer (bought a big cage from them) so they don't charge me for a wing clip. I keep hearing how easy it is to "do your own" clip but other than clipping one stray feather, I just can't do it. Maybe I could if I had a helper but my hubby is not that person! :D

LauraO
06-27-2006, 11:54 AM
I just wanted to add that you've had your lovie only a very short time and it takes lovies ahwile to adjust to their surroundings and the people in their lives. If he/she is already getting near you, this is a good sign and something I would keep working on. If you do, you will notice a lot of fun changes in your new friend. The key is consistency and patience. You must work with them daily and often.

I have so many lovies that I had to learn how to clip wings myself:x. I don't suggest anyone just do it, but there is a description in the Resource Library and you can always get your vet/groomer/pet store to show you how. I don't trim beaks as it's not healthy and I don't trim nails cause my lovies slip off my shoulder when we're hanging out.

be prepared for taking on another lovie. Just cause you think it's a good idea, doesn't mean they will. It may be that they fall in love instantly, or they may hate each other from day one and have to be kept in separate cages. If you do get another lovie getting a dna may help cause then you have more control over possible pairings. While all the lovies are different, it generally holds true that two females are the least likely to get a long, a m/f pair may or may not get a long and if they do their could be eggs and babies if you're not diligent, and m/m pairs may get along but they may just tolerate and hang out with each other rather than being soul bonded. I have 20 + lovies in an aviary style environment where most are allowed to pick their own mates and most have chosen the opposite sex, I had 2 m/m couples and the rest are m/f, though Jackie on the board has four birds and the 2 f have bonded and the 2 males have bonded so it's really a crap shoot.

Good Luck and Welcome:D

shylevon
06-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Since your birdie likes to snuggle up to the cloth, I would hang it from the ceiling of the cage and let it drape over a top perch. That way birdie can snuggle up to it, or crawl under it, at sleepy time and it won't get pooped on as often.

My Neaera, when she was very little, had a favorite toy that she would sleep under. It was one of those preening toys that have lots of knotted strings hanging down from a center bead. She would get under it and carefully arrange each string around herself so she was completely encircled by the strands. It took her about 15 minutes to get it all perfect before she tucked in and went to sleep, and I would watch every night, totally amazed by her diligence. I think it reminded her of having her flockmates close to her when she was still in the nestbox. It made me want to just snatch her out of those strings and give her a big kissy. She is such a sweetheart.

Edd781
06-29-2006, 01:31 AM
Hey everyone! Thanks for the help so far. I'm thinking of waiting for a bit till I get to bond more better with my currently lovie till I get another one, so it will be easier to bond with the other one also, if I decide to even get another.
My friend also has a lovie and he clips its wings so I think that he can help (more like do it ^^) for me. I'll also check out the resource libary once I have time.
So far my bird doesn't seem to bite me as much anymore, but it doesn't like to get as close to me as it usually did before. I'm trying to read/watch tv in my room with the lovie out, but it just stays on a perch I leave out, or on top of my chair. I think it'll take some time for it to get used to me.
I currently don't ahve a name for my lovie yet since I don't know its gender, so I think i'll wait till I find the gender xD Also can't post pictures since I don't have a camrea. One more week till my brother comes home from college so I can borrow his camrea.

I'll post again with my progress. Help me with some ideas for a name. It has a white face, dark-green coat, and a dark blue coat (which I LOVE so much xD)