PDA

View Full Version : HELP-I think my bird is sick

Ti & Me!
06-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Guys i need your help i just woke up to ti amo making some strange noises and his nose is all watery what should i do!?

linda040899
06-28-2006, 11:49 PM
The most immediate thing is to keep him warm. Raise the temperature around him to 90F. You will probably have to cover his cage on 3 sides and put a light over the cage to accomplish this. Next thing to do is try to find an emergency clinic in your area that will see birds. If there are none, you will have to call your avian vet first thing in the morning. Why is it that emergencies always happen after regular vet hours???

Ti & Me!
06-28-2006, 11:55 PM
I just got him a week ago so i dont know of any vets! I will try and find one early in the morning. He is trying to sleep is that a bad sign?

mjm8321
06-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Don't know if you have found a vet or not yet, but here's a link to avian vets in Ontario http://www.aav.org/vet-lookup/locate-vet2.php?query_field=province&search_string=ontario

Kimmie might also be able to refer you to a good avian vet as well.

Hope your little guy is ok.

shylevon
06-29-2006, 03:40 PM
A sleepy bird is not a good thing, assuming it is his regular time to be awake. Let him rest though, as he will need rest and strength if he is to combat an illness.

Watch his nares (nostrils) to see if the wetness dries off. Sometimes if birds have been around dust or smoke, they have a reaction that causes wet nares and they make a 'tsk-ing' noise when they breathe. This stops after the irritation passes. If the wetness does not dry up in an hour, he needs an avian vet visit.

kimsbirds
06-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Here's a list....

http://aav.org/vet-lookup/locate-vet2.php?query_field=province&search_string=Ontario

I'm running like a madwoman right now...gimme a few and I'll give you more details....

Ti & Me!
07-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the help but ti amo is back to his normal self! He must have just had something up his nose! thanks again!:)

kimsbirds
07-02-2006, 11:12 PM
I'd still advise booking an appointment with a qualified avian veterinarian just to be sure! Especially if your lovie hasn't had a recent check up. Hopefully there's nothing to be concerned about, but if it recurrs, you'll have a recorded history on this bird started.
The one I like best and currently use:

Britannia Animal Hospital John Valsamis 3755 Britannia Rd. WestMississauga, L5N 7X6Phone: 905-824-7387

If that one's too far,

The Links Road Animal & Bird Clinic (http://www.thelinksroadanimalclinic.com/)

Rick Axelson
41 The Links Rd
Toronto, M2P 1T7
Phone: 416-223-1165
Fax: 416-223-1560

One more,

Petra Burgmann
3194 Dundas St W
Toronto, M6P 2A3
Phone: 416-763-4200
Fax: 416-763-4387

Best of Luck,
Kim

Janie
07-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I agree with Kim. The best time to find an avian vet is before you have an emergency. :)

p3rr4n
07-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Its really good to hear that ti amo is better! :)

If you have only had your precious lovie for a week, it needs what we call a first time birdy check. It is really really really important that all new lovebirds get an avian vet to check them out. In my world and all of the other lovie owners I know, we would not for any reason skip this really important step.

It can mean the difference between you and your lovie having a long happy life and one that ends in heart break and despair.