PDA

View Full Version : Curious behaviour by my 5 - 6 month old lovebird

Alexander
07-01-2006, 12:18 PM
I just recently adopted a lovebird from a local pet store (the local breeders didn't have any suitable peachfaced mutations ready for atleast the next few months). In an attempt to sooth its transition from the pet store to its new cage, I've been playing a little nature music for it.

In the music, there is something it likes, and chirps in response to, but at a certain point in the song, it hops down off the perches and runs back and forth along the cage sides looking over the edge of the plastic base. I can only thing that is trying to find the other lovebird it thinks its talking to, but I'm not sure if this is causing more harm than good; it gets quite excited, and I've seen it trip once or twice doing these pacings.

Should I stop playing the music for it, or can I be the cautious optimist and say all that running around is good exercise?

Tango's_Mom
07-01-2006, 05:15 PM
My bird does the same thing, but there doesn't seem to be any particular trigger to it, I don't know if it's a problem or not, he's about the same age as yours, and is also from a petstore, I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't worry about it too much since he seems to be enjoying himself.

Alexander
07-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the response Tango's Mom, its good to know its a shared tendency between birds :) .

EDIT: Nevermind, I read through my lovebird book again, and it almost exactly fits what beak grinding is.

I have another question, if I may; as I type, my new bud is sitting on his snuggle-tent swing I made him, slightly puffed up making a "grinding" like noise and opening his mouth. Anyone know what this is? he has been doing it just before bed most nights.

kimsbirds
07-01-2006, 10:24 PM
That noise you're hearing can best be described as:

"ahhhh, this is the life, I'm comfy and fed and feeling a lil sleepy, think I might just fluff up and rest a lil bit for now...this is a good place I got...ahhhhhh"

How's that ?
LOL
Kim

Alexander
07-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Lol, its good to hear that its enjoying itself, when I first heard it, I thought it was choking. Thanks for the help :happy: