PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiosity....

Katy
07-02-2006, 08:45 AM
One of my lovies is very protective and territorial of her cage. So when ever I'm in there fixing something or changing water/food, she makes this kind of gurguling noise. While she's doing that, she's often trying to bite me. Is it safe to assume that this is a "stay away from me or I'll bite you!" sound?

linda040899
07-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Hi Katy,
Yup! Sure is!! She is communicating very, very well with you..... :)

BarbieH
07-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Oh yeah. :D But still, we have to do things in and around their cages. I like to distract them with one hand to another part of the cage, and do what I need to do (water or food dishes) with the other. If I have to go inside the cage with my hands, I take the bird out first. It's easier on the fingers that way.

shylevon
07-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Gurgling noise??? Hmmm.

My birds cluck like chickens when they want me to get away from them, and Nereus quacks just like a duck when she has eggies she is trying to protect. I ain't never heard gurgling, though.

mjm8321
07-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Weesy makes a somewhat similar noise. I call it the "donkey braying" noise. Between that and her posture, you know darn well to watch out. Easiest way to deal with her know is to just let her bite onto the finger and put her elsewhere. :lol

LauraO
07-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Easiest way to deal with her now is to just let her bite onto the finger and put her elsewhere. :lol
yep! This is a tactic that works well for me as well :x :x .

Katy
07-03-2006, 07:57 PM
I try to do that to show her that I'm not scared of her, but my reflexes always get the better of me >o

Buy A Paper Doll
07-03-2006, 08:07 PM
My darling hen gets a bit fiesty :roll: even when she's out of her cage. If she finds a nice little corner on the couch, or a hiding place behind my laptop, there's no way you can stick your hand in there and pick her up. These are her territories and she WILL draw blood.

Call me chicken, but when she gets like this, and I need to move her, I take one of the pavillions that Shy makes, and I place it near her. She normally goes ballistic that I'm touching HER cozy and goes RUNNING inside. From there I just pick up the pavillion, keeping fingers and toes AWAY from the opening, and carry it, crazy hen and all, to wherever I need her to be.

butterfly1061
07-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Olivia is my crazy hen. She will draw blood anytime she feels the need. So in order not to get bitten, all I have to do is pick up a towel and she runs to me for protection (not knowing it's me holding the towel :rolleyes: ). I can put her anywhere as long as the towel is in view. Now my other three lovies could careless if I put my hand in their cages. :D

Katy
07-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Cash hasn't drawn any blood (yet) but she certainly threatens to! She definately understands the phrase "Time to go home!!" she'll run away from me and not let me pick her up. I usually end up cornering her, and she'll give up and will let me scoop her up. Although once I do that, she oten tries to escape from my hands a few times until I can eventually get her into her cage.