PDA

View Full Version : Pied???

mandy
07-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi again!

I went to this website and the author says that a single white feather could indicate a pied factor. My question is could biscuit possibly have a very light pied factor? His wings seem to have one or two while feathers sometimes visible in the picture. If he is pied, I think i will eventually find a violet pied mate for him/her to get real pretty babies.

here is the link to those who would like a second look. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bermandyfsc/slideshow_end?.dir=/35b8scd&.src=ph

linda040899
07-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Since Pied is co-dominant, you don't need it on both sides to produce offspring that are visual pieds.

Biscuit still has not gone through the first molt yet, so it's hard to predict what the adult feathering will look like. Your best view will happen after the second molt which takes place at just about a year.

Jezz
07-04-2006, 06:39 PM
In Peachface Lovebirds, Pied is dominant, not co-dominant.
Biscuit does not look Pied to me, not Pied feathers, not even a clear toenail.

mandy
07-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Ya, I guess I was wishful thinking... Hahaha! I am planning to get him a Pied violet mate... Hopefuly we'd get pretty babies!

sdgilley
07-08-2006, 10:03 PM
I have a green masked lovie (a.k.a. black masked) and he's got yellow feathers on his shoulders and back. He's a cutie pie, and I don't intend to breed him. But it didn't show up strong until a good molt. So, in my great ignorance, I guess he's pied. BUT he's my cutie pie one way or another.

How about that Janie - Mama to a yeller bird!?

Janie
07-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Suzanne, Oliver now has a few more displaced "yeller" feathers. One on his back which he molted out only to have the new one grow back in yellow. He's all yellow under his neck (on his bib) and has a few yellow patches on his chest. The bib has always been yellow but the other places are within the last year. I figure it must be old age but will talk to his vet about liver issues when he goes in for his yearly exam. When Jeanette saw him she said his beak is two-toned and that he's more than a normal peachie but Lord, I don't know. I do think the yellow feathers add to his beauty but hope they are not a health issue! Did I ever tell you that I actually sent Miss Shy some of his yeller feathers? Yep, I did.....proof! :rofl:

sdgilley
07-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Yep, I did.....proof!
:rofl:
Two-toned beak? Interesting. Peepo has a two-toned beak, so I think she's a seagreen. I am blissfully ignorant on the genetic stuff, but I think she's beautiful.

I hope Oliver's yeller feathers are just normal coloring and not a health problem. He just wants to keep you guessing! :)

mandy
07-15-2006, 10:15 AM
what do u mean by a two-toned beak? Sorry for my ignorance.