PDA

View Full Version : D.N.A. Results are in.

cassysmiley
07-15-2006, 04:35 AM
:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

Woke up this morning and post was early for once. I have been waiting for the results of the D.N.A. of my 2 black masked and parrot.

so here are the results... ( drum rollllll. )

Honey the Blue Blacked Mask is FEMALE.!! :eek:

Sage the Green Blacked Mask is {wait 4 it.} MALE.!! :eek:

My Senegal i had done to, just for the sake of it, is male as i always thought. he is like some men Grumpy. How i knew he was a male :lol Sorry Guys.!!

So looks like in a few months time i could be going all through that process of Honey Laying. So really must work hard at her getting to eat more veggies. To me Apples are not enough.
They slowly getting used to their new cage. Have now re-started putting hand in.
thought i share the news with you all...
lots of love and :grouphug:
cassy.

P.S.
When i had re-home my other lovies, Red the Parrot became very morose in a way. He no longer came out of the cage. But since getting these 2 he is chatting lot more and doing head bangs (head goes up and down.) to them.
I did leave the cage door open for him to see if he comes out. But he still a wee bit unsure. he will in own time. So yes Birds do miss each other.

linda040899
07-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Hi Cassy,
Congratulations on having a pair of Masks! Baby Masks are just adorable! There's something about those big, innocent eyes with the eye-rings around them...... :lol

Yes, birds do miss each other! With my 5 larger parrots, it's like they are all one happy family, even though they don't always directly interact with each other. Fact of the matter is that they are always there for each other and I spend time interacting with all of them at random times during the day. It's like one huge cage and everyone does their own thing, just as long as everyone is staying out of trouble!!! And of course, the ring leader in getting into trouble is Ginger! :happy:

bellarains
07-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Cassy,

Well, at least the names fit each of them properly:lol

I know you did not get them to have babies, but you know what you are doing, and if you don't want babies, you don't have to have them. Something tells me you won't be able to resist just a couple though;)

Janie
07-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Congratulations.....it's a GIRL, it's a BOY and it's another BOY! :D

cassysmiley
07-16-2006, 11:14 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Errr dont shoot me you lot. :lol
But went out today i needed some more bird food etc and *cringe* Bought a nesting box. Reason i got it, was its not often they have them in so i bought it just in case. Opps. ;)
Need 2 Questions answered Please, Is the Bamboo plant safe for lovies???
I have a hug 1 in a pot and my friend brought some bamboo after her hubby took his outdoor avairy down and got of his birds. (he had to as his asthma is getting worse.so he knew how i felt when my had to go.)
Question number 2, am a bit worried re Sage and Honey, even tho they were in a indoor avairy (pets at home) i am wondering what the possibilty is they could be related??? . If they are and if they do breed, could it be possible the chicks be hybrid ??
Cheers for now love
Cassy.
Yup Lori those names sure do fit well. ;)

goldnyght
07-16-2006, 02:42 PM
bamboo is safe. Pete loves his bamboo play gym (just make sure its clean)

mjm8321
07-17-2006, 12:29 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Errr dont shoot me you lot. :lol
But went out today i needed some more bird food etc and *cringe* Bought a nesting box. Reason i got it, was its not often they have them in so i bought it just in case. Opps. ;)
Need 2 Questions answered Please, Is the Bamboo plant safe for lovies???
I have a hug 1 in a pot and my friend brought some bamboo after her hubby took his outdoor avairy down and got of his birds. (he had to as his asthma is getting worse.so he knew how i felt when my had to go.)
Question number 2, am a bit worried re Sage and Honey, even tho they were in a indoor avairy (pets at home) i am wondering what the possibilty is they could be related??? . If they are and if they do breed, could it be possible the chicks be hybrid ??
Cheers for now love
Cassy.
Yup Lori those names sure do fit well. ;)

Cassy, the bamboo is safe, dried or green. The two may very well be siblings however unless their parents were siblings/related it really isn't a big deal. Once you "interbreed" related birds to the second generation, that's where problems can arise.
I know why you got that nesting box. Just the thought of a box full of little masked bandits is hard to resist. ;)

sdgilley
07-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi Cassy!
That's exciting news! I think it is really smart that you went ahead and got the nest box. You'll have it when you need it, which will relieve stress for you and your cutie pie. When Peepo first started laying her first clutch, I didn't have anything beside tissue boxes and she ripped through them. I didn't know how much shredding she could do, and I learned fast. I had to go all over to finally find a nest box, so she was nervous about all this and had a small clutch - followed almost immediately by a second clutch that was much easier to deal with in terms of keeping her comfortable and happy.

Good luck, masks (in my opinion) have great facial expressions - really funny.

ddargenio
07-17-2006, 01:50 PM
FIRST CONGRATS ON THE BOY GIRL BOY!!!! I have a pair of Fischers that I am waiting (impaitently) to have babies! Also a quick questions for MJ, so if my peaface BB and lutino Ginger are not related (and they aren't) got them at the same bird store but they are from different breeders - does that mean that it is ok if one of their babies from clutch one and one baby from clutch three (if they are boy and girl) bond it's ok for them to have babies. Would just like to know - DON'T want to make any big mistakes to jepordize the health my little ones.
Denise

LauraO
07-17-2006, 01:59 PM
FIRST CONGRATS ON THE BOY GIRL BOY!!!! I have a pair of Fischers that I am waiting (impaitently) to have babies! Also a quick questions for MJ, so if my peaface BB and lutino Ginger are not related (and they aren't) got them at the same bird store but they are from different breeders - does that mean that it is ok if one of their babies from clutch one and one baby from clutch three (if they are boy and girl) bond it's ok for them to have babies. Would just like to know - DON'T want to make any big mistakes to jepordize the health my little ones.
Denise

I asked this same question when two of my birds from same parents but different clutches got together. Linda explained that while they are from different clutches, they are still considered siblings. So the same breeding issues would apply. They are okay to breed together but not the siblings of their babies.

Good luck with your Fischers:D

ddargenio
07-17-2006, 02:11 PM
So, Laura (since it's at the end of a workday and my brain is drying up - especially in this New Jersey 100 degree heat wave we're having) it wouldn't be bad if baby from clutch 1 bonded w/baby from clutch 3 (of course depending if they are male/female) but never allow it to happen with any babies clutch baby 1 and clutch baby 3 would have? (hope I got that right)

mjm8321
07-17-2006, 02:48 PM
So, Laura (since it's at the end of a workday and my brain is drying up - especially in this New Jersey 100 degree heat wave we're having) it wouldn't be bad if baby from clutch 1 bonded w/baby from clutch 3 (of course depending if they are male/female) but never allow it to happen with any babies clutch baby 1 and clutch baby 3 would have? (hope I got that right)

Sounds right to me.