PDA

View Full Version : Enough out time?

Luvbird_Mom
05-31-2005, 07:35 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this question. My baby lovie, Willow, is 5 weeks old now. He/she has decided that he wants to be with me all the time. I really love this since Willow is my first tame bird. When he is out he plays on me, jumps around the couch investigating. I have a play gym I got for Willow and he has recently started exploring that. He LOVES being out. I have cats so I can't let him be out all day. What I do is between 10/11am and 3/4pm I let him out with me and shut them cats in my bedroom. This is the time period my cats sleep so they don't notice the difference, plus I can lock my bedroom door. When the cats are out Willow paces around wanting out and has started calling me. It really makes me feel guilty cause I would love to take him back out. I put some toys in with him and foods. I keep him in the livingroom so he isn't all by himself, and I talk to him as I pass or call back to him when I hear him call me. Is the time I let him out enough out time for Willow? Does he need more time? I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
Sarah

LauraO
05-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Sarah: The more attached to you Willow gets the more time he will want to spend with you. This is the life of a velcro birdy, which sounds like the direction he is heading. Personally, if you're home and able I would let him out at least a couple of more hours per day especially given he's still so young and lost his parents.

My lovies are out about 1 to 2 hours as I get ready for work and are out from the time I get home until their bedtime. Of course, my lovies have their own room which they play in during the day so they don't so much live in cages as they do sleep in them :rolleyes:.

I know it's hard with cats so I'm sure other members with them will have more advice.

linda040899
06-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Sarah,
Right now, the more time he can spend with you, the better. Baby lovebirds are very social and he has no other babies to be close to. Even single babies have mom/dad. To Willow, you are all this rolled into one. He needs the interaction in order to be able to develop independence. While he may never be happy in his cage, he will accept it a bit better when he's older.