PDA

View Full Version : getting my bird!!!!!

chris_lynn
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
finally getting my bird!!!!! in the middle of august to. *waits not so patiently*
:2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: i wonder how much money im gonna hafto shell out?:rolleyes: oh well i think ive finally decided on a cage! thanks to all of you!!! actually thats the resin i joined this forum. the cage i wanted was half inch bar spacing but my mom (who has no expirence) told me the cage was to big. oh well i found a different one instead. oh when i get my bird ill post pictures! :happy: :roll: my sisters cocketiels are making contact calls again ill have to go play with them.......she never does though.

Janie
07-19-2006, 06:29 PM
i wonder how much money im gonna hafto shell out?

For what? The bird? The food? The vet check ups? Lovebirds can be as inexpensive as $40 at a bird fair and as high as $100 or a little more at a pet store or from a good breeder. Food....I don't even want to think of what I spend on food for my birds every month. Vet care is typically around $50 to $60 for a yearly exam and there is no way to figure out what you might need to spend in an emergency situation.

The best advice I was given about buying a cage was to buy the biggest and best one that I could afford. Cages need to be large enough for several perches and lots of toys. Room for a bird to fly from one perch to the next. :)

Since your sister has cockatiels, you'll need to quarantine your bird (different room) for at least 30 days.

sdgilley
07-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Wow, glad you found a good cage. :) It's good that you are finding out about lovebirds before you get one. In the Resources forum there is this article:
http://www.cottageworks.com/robinsnest/guide.htm
It's a guide for new lovebird owners. Please read as much as you can. It will help prepare you for the new bird.

You might want to start a savings account for when you take your bird to an avian vet. Those trips can be expensive, so if you have the money set aside - it won't be as hard to deal when you need to go. My vet trips on average are $100 per trip.

Katy
07-20-2006, 07:42 AM
For what? The bird? The food? The vet check ups? Lovebirds can be as inexpensive as $40 at a bird fair and as high as $100 or a little more at a pet store or from a good breeder. Food....I don't even want to think of what I spend on food for my birds every month. Vet care is typically around $50 to $60 for a yearly exam and there is no way to figure out what you might need to spend in an emergency situation.

The best advice I was given about buying a cage was to buy the biggest and best one that I could afford. Cages need to be large enough for several perches and lots of toys. Room for a bird to fly from one perch to the next. :)

Since your sister has cockatiels, you'll need to quarantine your bird (different room) for at least 30 days.

I WISH we had some type of bird fair here. I most definately overpaid for my birds. $400 just to buy them, $150 for a cage, vet check up came to something like $180, and I spend waaaay too much on toys. Other than that, their care is relatively cheap. I spend maybe $20/month on seeds and pellets for them. The rest of their food is just included in my household groceries. Is there a bird fair in Maine? I'd definately drives down there if there was one. I was planning a drive down to Florida, anyhow.

Cathy
07-20-2006, 11:32 AM
You just missed the bird fair in Norcross, GA the next one in Atlanta is at the Farmers' Market on September 16 and 17. go to www.birdfairs.com to check it out. I buy all of my food, toys, etc. there. It's also really fun to meet other bird people. Check out the dried fruit, my birds love it and it is less than half the price you'll pay at a pet store.

LauraO
07-20-2006, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=Janie]For what? The bird? The food? The vet check ups? Lovebirds can be as inexpensive as $40 at a bird fair and as high as $100 or a little more at a pet store or from a good breeder. Food....I don't even want to think of what I spend on food for my birds every month. Vet care is typically around $50 to $60 for a yearly exam and there is no way to figure out what you might need to spend in an emergency situation.
[QUOTE]

YEP! I'm with Janie. Pets are expensive and I would definately start a savings account for them. I have way more birds than Janie, but even with just a couple, seed, treats and fresh food can get pricey. Let's not even talk vet bills. I would have to say I spent between $500 and $1000 one year on my lovebird Squeaker, and his vet didn't always charge us and has very reasoneable rates.

You will also have to shell out lots of consistent time with your lovie. They are very social and high maintence birds. Between my husband and I we spend hours a day with our birds. We quite a few now, but this was true when we only had four.

chris_lynn
07-20-2006, 08:30 PM
i know i will have to give LOTS of time but im ok whith that.
i was wondering how much i was gonna end up paying total for the cage the toys etc. i cant wait though!!!!!!

chris_lynn
07-20-2006, 08:34 PM
i have the time everyday to spend at the least half of my day! i hope thats enough. most books ive read said the bird needs at least 2 hours each day being with you. :x im not looking forword to the noise of the two cocketiels trying to contact the lovebird. oh and yes i can easily quarintine the new addition my sister keeps her cocketiels in her room ALL the time so they wont make contact unless i take my lovebird into her room. :p

kimsbirds
07-20-2006, 08:42 PM
The more time you have to spend with your bird, the better, IMO. Remember though, birdie needs access to water and food every 15-20 mins, so no long stretches of time should pass without them!
With Abbey, our GCC, and our pet lovebirds, we have individual playtime, and together time too. After 20 mins, everyone goes back to their cages for about 20-30 mins to rest, eat, drink etc, then we come back out in a different way ie: to the playgym, or on my shoulder or to the small travel cage for some outside fresh air. The variations do wonders for their state of mind, and you'll not get stuck with a bird that ONLY wants to be on you. Not a bad thing, but can get rather limiting at time !
Best of Luck
Kimmie

chris_lynn
07-21-2006, 11:35 AM
The more time you have to spend with your bird, the better, IMO. Remember though, birdie needs access to water and food every 15-20 mins, so no long stretches of time should pass without them!
With Abbey, our GCC, and our pet lovebirds, we have individual playtime, and together time too. After 20 mins, everyone goes back to their cages for about 20-30 mins to rest, eat, drink etc, then we come back out in a different way ie: to the playgym, or on my shoulder or to the small travel cage for some outside fresh air. The variations do wonders for their state of mind, and you'll not get stuck with a bird that ONLY wants to be on you. Not a bad thing, but can get rather limiting at time !
Best of Luck
Kimmie

i will most likely be home all day but i wil be doing things such as washing dishes:x

kimsbirds
07-21-2006, 09:17 PM
I should probably mention that anytime a situation you're in is unsafe for lovie, it's cagetime for a bit ie: dishwashing..that soap plus that hot water is a no-no for birdie. Ditto that for toilets, windows, laundry, or any other time when you're working with something potentially dangerous for your bird.
Best wishes!
K