PDA

View Full Version : Camping with a lovie?

Mandolin
07-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Well i am faced with a possible dilemma and need some advice. There is a huge annual family camping trip coming up with my boyfriend, Sean's, family. We have gone every year since being together but this will be the first with Kameko being around. Normally if we are going to go away anywhere Sean's family looks after Kameko and she is given great care since they have had birds for many years so i know i can trust them to take care of her properly. Anyway... they will all be camping too :(. My options are 1) leave Kameko at Sean's house with the house sitter, who is very nice and will be looking after the other birds and dog but will have little bird experience and give Kameko little if any loving and will be a complete stranger to her, 2) bring her with us where we will be camping in a tent meaning she will have to either sleep outside in the tent with us or maybe in the car, all of which won't be all that warm, 3) I have to stay home. Has anyone else camped with their birds? I know Sean's family has taken their budgies with them and it went well, but i dont know exactly what weather variations they experienced. Any advice would be great :confused:

kimsbirds
07-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Mandy
How long is the camping trip? I would really recommend leaving Kameko with the sitter, even though he won't get much attention, as long as his needs are met ie: food/water and daylight, I think I'd just pile on the attention and featherbutt kissing when you get home:) Taking him with you is really not an option...disease, risk, escape, predators, fumes from the bonfire etc.. seems an awful lot to reckon with...just my opinion...lets' wait to hear from others who've maybe done this kind of thing? Maybe I"m being way too overprotective lol

Kimmie

Mandolin
07-20-2006, 10:11 PM
The trip is 3 days. All those risks have gone through my head too. Along with the risks of leaving her with the sitter... little or no attention for Kameko, someone who doesn't pick up on subtle signs of illness, stress of a change of surroundings with no one familiar, ME MISSING HER TOO MUCH :cry: :lol. I may be being very paranoid (more than likely). But yes, very interested in what others have to say

Buy A Paper Doll
07-20-2006, 10:28 PM
I would not take my birds camping. Too many risks, just like Kim said. The risks of what could happen to your bird while camping, in my opinion, far outweigh the risks of having your bird stay safely at home with a sitter. In the grand scheme of things, 3 days is not that long of a separation.

Leave specific instructions: How much food and when, etc. If your sitter hasn't handled him before, I would recommend having Kameko stay in his cage until you get back. You wouldn't want him to get out and not come to the sitter for some reason. Give them a link to this site if they have questions, and call to check in when you can.

There is another option which is to board your bird at the vet's office. If you already have a good relationship with a veterinarian, and you have doubts about the house sitter's ability to care for your bird, this could be the way to go.

I hope this helps!

Janie
07-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Mandy, I'm voting with Kim and Jennifer. I can understand how hard it is for you to leave Kameko but I agree that he will be much safer there than on the camping trip. You'll worry about him but probably not nearly as much as if he were with you on the trip.

Leave specific instructions: How much food and when, etc. If your sitter hasn't handled him before, I would recommend having Kameko stay in his cage until you get back. You wouldn't want him to get out and not come to the sitter for some reason. Give them a link to this site if they have questions, and call to check in when you can.

Great advice!

sdgilley
07-21-2006, 10:22 AM
I have camped a great deal in the past few years with my kids. There are so many factors you can't control outside like that. I would recommend that you leave your bird home or at your vet's office. I like the other suggestions about instructions and such. I always keep the vet's phone number and emergency number posted clearly with my birds when I have someone caring for them while I'm away.
Good luck. I know it's hard to think of saying good-bye to your lovie for a few days. :) I'm the same way.

chris_lynn
07-21-2006, 11:33 AM
deffinatly leave you lovie home!!!!!!!!! i agree with everyone else about the danger. leaving you lovie with a sitter shouldnt be to bad since it will only be for 3 days. do you know any one who has expirence with taking care of birds??

Tango's_Mom
07-21-2006, 07:26 PM

I hope this helps!

Also don't forget to leave your avian vets contact info and directions to the clinic, it may also be a good idea to leave a list of possible hazards (there is a great one in the resource library) and a list of signs of illness, also make sure the sitter is comfortable with calling the vet with any questions (won't hold off because she's afraid it's a stupid question or that she is wasting their time) explain to her that the staff at the clinic are very helpful and will be happy to answer any questions she has.

I'm lucky that I can either board my bird at my vets office, or leave Tango with a co-worker who has owned many birds and whose mother bred lovebirds and cockatiels. But with proper instruction your house sitter should not have a problem looking after Kameko for a couple days, and just think how happy he'll be to see you when you get back.

Buy A Paper Doll
07-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Also don't forget to leave your avian vets contact info and directions to the clinic, it may also be a good idea to leave a list of possible hazards (there is a great one in the resource library) and a list of signs of illness, also make sure the sitter is comfortable with calling the vet with any questions (won't hold off because she's afraid it's a stupid question or that she is wasting their time) explain to her that the staff at the clinic are very helpful and will be happy to answer any questions she has.

Excellent advice!

Rubygem
07-22-2006, 06:34 AM
We have been known to go to a reunion or two at a State park in Mississippi, when I only had Ruby. But we always rented out a cabin (for those that know me, know I’m not a tent type camper…:lol) We would take my bird with us, because we always had to have some alone time, because it can become overwhelming for us, to see so many people for long periods of time. I would make sure she was taken care of first thing, before leaving the cabin to visit family. :) and we would check on her, and make time to spend with just her. Some of our family thought we were crazy, but then again we just might be…:omg:

I guess I’m trying to ask, is getting a cabin an option? If not, then I agree with everyone else about leaving the bird at home. I know some people board their pets with a vet – and there are good points as well as bad points on doing this IMO. Most vets get to see sick animals, and I’m always paranoid that with my luck a bird would come in while my birds where there that had a contagious dieses. I much rather have someone come over and feed and water my birds and check on them, than move them out of the house. But this is just me. There are birds that do not get the proper care that we on this group try to provide for our lovies, and I have seen some birds in really bad situations :(, so leaving for 3 days shouldn’t be too bad for your lovie, but make sure you have a lot of fresh millet, and a lot of hugs and kisses for your birdie when you get back :D
Jeanette