PDA

View Full Version : I got a new lovie!!!!

Janie
07-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Although he won't be living with us, we're going to "sponsor" him. I've always wanted a lovie named "Sam" and now I have one. :) He even has the tiny patch of yellow on his back like Oliver. I read about this rescue group in the Atlanta Journal last week end and then called Ron. The back ground noise was unbelievable! :lol I think they have around 450 birds!

Check Sam out! He is the 7th photo down and is "No Name 5."

http://www.featheredfriendsforever.org/lovebird.html

butterfly1061
07-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Well, you did scare me for a minute there :lol I think Sam is beautiful. I've been to Ron's rescue before and it's unbelievable. We took fruits & veggies and fed most of the parrots. I'm sure they were greatful for the treat. They have an anuual BBQ in May for fundraising to help with the upkeep and build new places to house all the birds. It's a great place to visit and see what a wonderful job Ron & his wife do. I'd would love to go back again :)

BarbieH
07-22-2006, 09:33 AM
:lol Janie, you tease! :lol It's only a matter of time before you have a new lovie in your home ... you know that, don't you? ;)

Sam is gorgeous. And No Name #3 looks just like Gracie.

bellarains
07-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Janie,

That is awesome!!!!! Although, my heart did skip a beat at the title of the post. You naughty girl;)

Yep, I see Gracie, Bela, and one that looks an awful lot like your Big Boi. Pretty birds. We may have to make that trip one of these days when I come down.

So, are they going to name him Sam since you are sponsoring him??? That baby does need a name. Can't go around calling him "No Name":(

Janie
07-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Yes, they will let me name him! :D I only sent the e-mail to Ron this morning confirming the sponsorship and telling him exactly which one and the name. The tiny little yellow patch on his back drew me straight to him/her. Barb, I saw the little Gracie bird, too, and Bela. Wish we could sponsor all of them. I "forgot" to tell my hubby I was doing this but I have a feeling he'll be OK with it since the birdie won't be coming here! :D No quarantine! YIPPEE! :lol

Jackie, you were the first person who told me about this rescue. Holy Moly, Harlem is almost to Augusta! They are open to the public Thurs. through Sun. (I think) so I guess we need to make a road trip!

BarbieH
07-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Did any of you notice the "perch" that Goldie-Bella is sitting on? To me it looks like a pointing finger. Wouldn't that be a clever thing to have, to teach a bird how to step up onto fingers! (Added: That's in picture #9.)

P.S. It always makes me smile when I see a yellow lovie described as being "Latino" instead of "Lutino." I think that's an easy error to make before you know the actual names. :) Lutino looks like a typo at first.

Janie
07-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Barbie, the best laugh I got on calling a color wrong was when Jackie and I were at our favorite pet bird store. One of the employees told Jackie that a little pied lovie was called TIE DYED! :eek: Jackie did correct her! :rofl:

butterfly1061
07-22-2006, 10:39 AM
:rofl: Janie, I forgot about that. The girl at the store just gave me a dumbfounded look. I don't think she believed me :rolleyes:

Barb, You have to give the spelling with a little grain of salt. It's very rural Georgia. When you get there, you are in absolutely nowhere :eek:

It had rained the night before and it's down a dirt road. You have to go down a big hill and then up the otherside. Well, the car wouldn't make it up the otherside (MUD), so we parked at the bottom of the hill and walked up. Interesting trip, but we had a good time.

LauraO
07-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Janie: I'm glad to hear Sam now has a name and a family:D . I just took a peak and they already have all the info up! What a beautiful lovie:D .

Cathy
07-22-2006, 02:20 PM
I can't believe that place or the dedication of the people there. I wonder if they wear ear plugs? Can you imagine all of the birdie dew that they have to clean up?

Those of us that are close enough should take "field trip" to Harlem. Meet and greet, volunteer and donate, and have dinner together.

Janie, I occasionally get back to civilization, Dublin GA is almost as bad as Harlem, and I would like to know the name and location of the pet store that you like. There can't be too many of those, although there is a very good one in Macon called Macon Pets. Lori handfeeds and socializes a few birds at a time and she has a few rescues as well. She also buys birds from a reputable breeder and sells those.

I had to stop in at Petsmart in Macon today. I forgot about it being Saturday and the Humane Society was doing their adoption thing. There always seems to be so many volunteers and dogs but few people that are interested. My 3 pound Yorkie was scared of all of the barking and we couldn't stay long but of course I had to look at the sad little birds.

Another question. Could some of you share the websites that you buy food and toys from? Also, are there recipes somewhere for blending your own seed mixture for small hookbills? Do any of you have birdie bread recipes to share? I didn't see that in the archives. Did I overlook that?

butterfly1061
07-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Another question. Could some of you share the websites that you buy food and toys from? Also, are there recipes somewhere for blending your own seed mixture for small hookbills? Do any of you have birdie bread recipes to share? I didn't see that in the archives. Did I overlook that?
Here's a thread with some websites listed. http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?t=4375&highlight=websites
Here's the link to the recipes: http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=16 :D

Janie
07-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Cathy, the store that Jackie and I like is called The Aviarium located close to Gwinnett Place Mall. It sells birds and fish and supplies for both. They have one toy that my Oliver loves and I rarely find it at the bird fairs so I buy a dozen at a time when I go there. It is a cheap toy, about $3.50 and only .50 cents less at the bird fairs IF they have it. Their birds are seen by the same vet that Jackie and I use and they do move pretty fast but unless I had no other choice, I would not buy a bird from a pet store, even them. By the time they get a hand fed lovie and cage it for a few weeks, it's as wild as can be. Their larger parrots are very nice and those do move quickly which I'm glad to see.

I do want to visit the rescue in Harlem sometime. I asked "Ron" if he could use toys that my birds weren't playing with and he was delighted! They are in the process of building a new aviary for the lovebirds. LOUD doesn't even come close! :lol I could barely hear him on the phone. :D

Laura, he/she is a sweet looking little peachie, isn't he? :D:D:D They are all so sweet looking. It was interesting to see that their "adoption" list is very short. Many to sponsor but very few to adopt. Guess they don't want any of their birds re-homed and that is a good thing! :D

butterfly1061
07-22-2006, 06:00 PM
although there is a very good one in Macon called Macon Pets. Lori handfeeds and socializes a few birds at a time and she has a few rescues as well. She also buys birds from a reputable breeder and sells those.Well, I need to check this one out. I'm just N. of Macon. I use to live in Warner Robins a couple of yrs ago. and drove to work S. of Atlanta.