PDA

View Full Version : Bonding I think

PrettyBird
07-22-2006, 08:57 AM
My new lovebird has begun to bond with us. I was just wondering if it is natural to be followed around. He follows me wherever I go and tries to chew at my feet. He will sometimes run at them too. Is this aggressive behaviour or is it bonding? He still doesn't like the hands but he'll climb my pant leg. Also when we are sitting down, he runs around our feet and chirps really loud. What does it mean?

Janie
07-22-2006, 09:01 AM
A lovie on the floor is not safe. None of my three go to the floor often but each and every time they do, I get them up immediately. It would be so easy to step on one. I do let mine crawl up my pant legs and they like that but the floor is just too dangerous.

I've read here many times that some lovebirds don't like feet/toes and will attack them. I've never noticed that with mine but they're all different in their likes and dislikes.

linda040899
07-22-2006, 09:07 AM
I agree that the floor is not a safe place for lovebirds. When I was a kid, my mother stepped on one of our pet parakeets and that memory has been with me ever since! It's too late once the accident has happened.

I think many birds see feet as they view hands.....evil! Following you around means that he wants to be with you. I think the best thing to do is to allow him to be with you on your person.

butterfly1061
07-22-2006, 09:37 AM
No floors allowed here either! When mine do end up on the floor, they usually stay put until I pick them up. One of my lovies blends in with the carpet color and it's very hard to spot her :(

Lovebirds do not like toes :rolleyes: When my legs are propped on the sofa, they will run down my leg and bite my toes. I've even tried wearing socks. Maybe they don't like my nail poilsh color :whistle:

LauraO
07-23-2006, 03:06 AM
Some lovebirdies definately have a thing with toes:x :x . My six year old lovie, Zimber loves to bite toes and will go out of his way to attack them. I've always viewed it as a game he likes to play. Maybe it's the same with your's. I agree the floor isn't a good place for lovies, but I would definately see the whole toe thing as a good thing. Really scared and uninterested birdies will go NOWHERE near feet or any other human extemities:x .

mandy
07-23-2006, 05:13 AM
How i wish my lovie followed me around like that. I realized that many times, lovie owners have to learn their pet's likes and dislikes. I'm learning too... slowly but getting there i guess... Ya I don't allow my bird on the floor anymore either.