PDA

View Full Version : Pet Shops

Mr.Palmisano
07-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Would it be a good idea for me to get a lovebird from my local petshop? Most of my friends get them from other friends, and meh, you know. I guess I could get one from the petshop. What do you think?

butterfly1061
07-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Try looking for a local breeder. See if you have an Avian Vet in the area and check with them for breeder listings. Also you can look for birdfairs. If you can't find any of these, then a pet store would be your only option. :2cents:

LauraO
07-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Just my :2cents:, but I try to avoid buying anything living from a petstore. While there are always exceptions, the rule 99% of the time is that petstores mistreat their animals, do not provide proper attention and care, nor do they give correct advise to the customers. Not only that, but lovies are birds that need constant interaction and socialization to remain tame. You can have the sweetest, most tame bird on the planet but put it in a petstore and a week later you will likely have a skittish, wild, and frightened bird.

The best way to get a lovie is from a reputeable breeder who may handfeed, but must SOCIALIZE their birds. They should also be weaned in their own time with the breederr offering them fresh foods and grains as well as seed. This doesn't guarantee you the pet you want, but you are ten steps ahead of most lovies bought in a pestore. Socialized babies from a reputeable breeder often are sweet and more trusting of humans and much easier to work with, initially, but you must continue that work and build trust. I say initially cause a lot of us have had sweet tame birdies turn into crazy biting machines or just not like being touched or around humans. These lovies are still great pets, but we must rethink our relationship with them and make adjustments so they remain a happy and integral part of our family.

Now given all that I've written, I will say that not all petshops are bad and I've gotten a couple of my tame lovies in them, but it was more a matter of luck of then the petshop being good (birds came to store same day I bought them). I also know there are stores who are concientous and knowledgeable about their birds. So if you do decide to go with the petshop try and work with them to get birds who have just arrived in the store or wait until there's one you want to work with.

And like others, I will ask where you live cause we have several good breeders on the board as well as others who may know of place where you can get what your looking for.

Hope this helps:D

Mr.Palmisano
07-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone.

I live in Hammond, Louisiana. I would have no problem traveling to the Metairie/Kenner area, because that is where I lived before Hurrican Katrina. I haven't got a clue how to find a breeder, so if someone could help me either find a breeder or an all-bird petshop in this area, that would be great.

Thanks again :)

bellarains
07-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi,

I found this link for a few breeders. I'm not sure how close they may be to you, but you know the area better than I do. Hope you have some luck.

http://www.avianbreeder.com/site.php?pageID=2&locID=19

Mr.Palmisano
07-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Hmm... Thanks, but it seems that the only ones remotely close to this area don't sell lovebirds.

Thanks anyway. :)

LauraO
07-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Here's another link. You could also call some breeders of other parrots to find out if they know anyone who breeds lovies.

http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/brad2.htm

Mr.Palmisano
07-23-2006, 10:19 PM
All of those places are pretty far, except Kenner. I'm going to call every petshop around this area tommorow, and ask questions. Thanks everyone. :)