PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Recipes

BarbieH
07-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Sorry, but this has nothing to do with birds. >o What is your favorite strawberry pie recipe? I've got a lot of lovely strawberries, organic ones and nice and clean. (Birds got some -- my lovies are pink!) I've got a ready-made crust, just looking for a nice recipe.

TIA,

bellarains
07-25-2006, 02:04 PM
1 quart strawberries
1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese
1 baked pastry shell, 9-inch
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
red food coloring
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

Wash, drain, and hull strawberries. Beat cream cheese with a fork until smooth. Spread cream cheese over bottom of the cooled pie shell. Stand half of the whole strawberries in the shell with tips up. Mash remaining strawberries; press through a sieve to remove seeds.

Measure the strawberry juice, and if necessary, add water to make 1 1/2 cups of liquid. In a saucepan, mix granulated sugar with cornstarch; gradually stir in the strawberry juice mixture and the lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and clear, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in a few drops of red food coloring; remove from heat. Cool sauce for about 10 minutes, then pour over the strawberries in the shell. Chill for about 3 hours, or until firm. Beat cream with confectioners' sugar until mixture holds its shape. Spoon whipped cream in a ring around the edge of the pie. Store leftover pie in the refrigerator.
Serves 6 to 8.

OR:

2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons cornstarch
1 package strawberry flavored gelatin, 4-serving size
2 cups water
4 pints strawberries, hulled
2 9-inch baked pie shells, cooled

Cook sugar, cornstarch, jello and water until thick; cool. Place whole berries the baked pie shells. Pour sauce over berries and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping.

I love cream cheese, so the first one is my favorite, but I have made the second one also, and it is very good.

Ummmmm, let me know when the pie is ready:)

BarbieH
07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Yum, they both look great! On the one hand, I love cream cheese too! But on the other hand, the second recipe looks like it's faster to make. ;)

mjm8321
07-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Barb, I can't cook to save my life, but when you said strawberry pie, all I can think of is the delicious strawberry rhubarb pie my aunt used to make. Don't know what her recipe was, but here's a ton of recipes for rhubarb pies. Scroll down for several strawberry rhubarb recipes.
Oh man, now I want some pie!

BarbieH
07-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Ooh, I think strawberry-rhubarb pie might be verboten around here. Tim's mom (RIP) was a wonderful woman, but her cooking left something to be desired when she took recipes into her own hands. I think she dietized the strawberry-rhubarb pie, with *ahem* unusual results. If I tried he would either cry or run.

I think I've also seen some great old strawberry cake recipes, too. Can't beat a nice strawberry cake, but I'm fixed on pie for some reason.

bellarains
07-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Barb,

If you want a cake, I have an awesome recipe for a strawberry shortcake type recipe. It's really easy, and YUMMMMMMM!!!!!

BarbieH
07-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Oh Lori, do tell! I don't think the pie will use up all the strawberries.:D

bellarains
07-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Geez, I didn't think I was going to find my recipe, and this is one I can't be loosing:lol

1-18.25 oz. package strawberry cake mix(I like Duncan Heinze)
1-3 oz. package strawberry gelatin
4- cups water
2- cups whipped topping
2- cups sliced strawberries

Prepare cake according to package directions. Bake as directed for a 9x13 inch pan. Let cool.

Prepare strawberry gelatin according to package instructions,using the 4 cups of water. Pour over cooled cake while still in liquid form; the cake will absorb it. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours, or until gelatin is set.

Spread whipped topping over cake, and top with sliced strawberries.

This is soooooo simple, and so good. This is the cake most everyone asks me to make to bring to any function. Little do they know how easy it is;)

Kathryn
07-25-2006, 11:03 PM
OOOOHHH Lori's strawberry pie recipe is like my mom's!! She used sliced bananas instead of cream cheese sometimes. Luscious!!!
The cake sounds yummy!

Rubygem
07-26-2006, 06:45 AM
Lori,

Maybe when you come down to Atlanta you need to bring a sample :D

*****hint******hint******hint

I am not much on cooking and bakeing, (Thank goodness DH can cook :D), but I'm great at trying new things ;)

:rofl:
Jeanette

BarbieH
07-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Jeanette, behind every good cook there is a willing sampler. ;)

Lor, the recipe looks outstanding! I am making a mental shopping list that now includes strawberry cake mix and Cool Whip.

I found another recipe for strawberry pie that uses strawberry Jello but no cornstarch, strawberries, and a prebaked pie crust. The strawberries are dredged in powdered sugar, then they go into the crust; the slightly cooled Jello (small box + 1 1/4 C boiling water) goes over them. It turned out very well, too, and not as much sugar as other recipes, especially if you use sugar-free Jello.

bellarains
07-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Barb,

It sounds good. Wish I was there to try it out.

Oh, and you know I don't know anything about less sugar, low fat, or any of that good for you cooking. I'm from the South, and I think every recipe I have calls for sugar, oil,cream, oh, and you know you can't make a pot of green beans without throwing a piece of fat back off in there:lol

I think I like this recipe thing. Maybe we can have a little place in our recipe section, "Recipe's-Not for the birds":)

butterfly1061
07-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Lori,

Jeanette has a good idea. I have an oven that hasn't been used (except for birdie bread), wanna try it out? ;)

bellarains
07-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Jackie,

I love to cook, but I love to bake even more. I would be proud to break your over in:lol

butterfly1061
07-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Sounds yummy! I bet a martini would go with one of those deserts, huh? :p

Z28Taxman
07-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Ok now I'm hungry!

bellarains
07-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Jackie,

An appletini goes with anything:happy:

butterfly1061
07-26-2006, 12:26 PM
I watched Emeril make a Key Lime Martini the other night. YUMMY!!! And we're in luck too. There's a liquor store less than 1/2 mile from my house :D

Z28Taxman
07-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Jackie,

An appletini goes with anything:happy:

And thirsty! :lol

bellarains
07-26-2006, 01:41 PM
My devious mind at work:evil:

Hmmmm, get Jackie wasted, sneak Piper out. Maybe replace Piper with another yeller birdy. Yeah, that's the plan:whistle:

butterfly1061
07-26-2006, 02:25 PM
Ahem...:eek: