PDA

View Full Version : Finally... This Weekend!

Mr.Palmisano
07-26-2006, 05:49 PM
AH! I am so happy. Finally, this weekend I am getting my first lovie! I'm so excited!

I've read virtually everything I need to know for beginners, plus some. I have gotten help from multiple people on this forum, and I've called all over Southeast Louisiana looking for information. I am so happy!

There is one more question that I have...
Bird Seed... What brand do you reccomend? That's about it.

I want to thank all of you that helped me out here, and once I get my lovie I will post pictures. :)

- Cameron Palmisano

Tango's_Mom
07-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi, congrats on your new bird, as far as food, I use a mixture of Tropimix seed and Tropican pellets both by haegan for tiels and lovebirds, I also throw in a couple of pretty bird pellets for colour and I use nutriberries and millet as treats, and am now working on getting him to accept fresh foods like veggies

Janie
07-27-2006, 08:52 AM
The seed I use the most (every day) is Sun Scription Vita Tiel. It has a photo of a Cockatiel on the bag. PetSmart and PetCo do not sell it but my avian vet does and Pet Land does. I buy it from the bird fairs or from my breeder at about half the cost I would pay at retail. Around here a 6 lb. bag is $13.00 at retail but $7.75 at the bird fairs.

Because I do have access to several birds fairs during the year I also pick up smaller bags of different seeds for them to try. They all three love the Volkman seed for lovebirds. I also offer snack attack, hemp, cantaloupe seeds, thistle, avi cakes, nutriberries and dehydrated veggies. All of those items come from the bird fairs. None of my three are crazy for pellets but I do add them to the birdie cornbread that I make.

Congratulations on your new bird! :D Not sure if you said who you are getting the bird from, a breeder or a store, but you might want to ask what seed your bird has been eating till now and if it's a good mix, continue with that. My adopted bird, Oliver, was not being fed a good mix so I slowly changed him over to a better (vet recommended) brand. I offered him his regular seed and added a table spoon of the new seed to it and in a weeks time, offered only the new brand of seed, the Sun Scription.