PDA

View Full Version : Tiki's & BamBam's Taming Progress...

SooBirdy
07-28-2006, 01:15 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm back on this forum after a month or two of getting used to my new birdies.

When I first got them:

They were scared and would jump away from me. I couldn't put my hands in the cage or they would freak out. After feeding and changing water and a daily basis, they got to know who I am.

Now:

I can put my hands in the cage. They would sorta get scared but not as much. So I tried using a piece of wooden perch to train them doing the "step up." Bambam is not scared of it and would step up. While Bambam is on the wooden perch, I would pull him against me sort of and then put him down on the perch attached to the cage and tell him to "step down" and he does it. I progressed a little over time. I try putting my finger in there so Bambam can step onto it but he gets scared. So he is only used to the wooden perch. So what is the next step?

Tiki on the other hand is just plain old "CHICKEN". She would just jump to the opposite end of the cage. I think Bambam tries to tell her it's okay but she still jumps from one end of the cage to the other. What can I do?>:

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Also my room is close to the backyard door, so on hot sunny days, I take the cage outside and let them stay out there and bring them in when sun about to set. They seem happy to be outside because they see other birds and chirp at them.:whistle:

Thanks.

Janie
07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
Also my room is close to the backyard door, so on hot sunny days, I take the cage outside and let them stay out there and bring them in when sun about to set. They seem happy to be outside because they see other birds and chirp at them

Be sure that their cage is totally protected while they are outside. More than one bird has been lost when the bottom of the cage fell out or when a predator found out how to get to the cage and the bird. Consider what could happen if a cat got to their cage. Even if the cat could not get to them, it would scare them do death. Also, they will need protection from direct sun....a good area of shade in the cage. Personally, I would not leave them out all day. I am a wild bird fanatic and do have several feeders in my back yard but they do carry many germs that could easily be passed to your lovebirds. Do you have a screened window that you could open and place the cage close to the window? They would still benefit from the fresh air and still hear the calls of the wild birds. My bird room does have several large screened windows and I do open them when it's not too hot or cold so that my lovies can enjoy the outside birds.

Sounds like you are making progress with your birds and a month is not a long time. I'll bet that you'll see a lot more progress in the next month and remember that it can take up to 6 months to earn their trust. I can't offer you any suggestions on stepping up since my adopted bird came to me already stepping up and the other two were hand fed and only 9 1/2 weeks old when I got them so they were very easy to teach.

SooBirdy
07-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Be sure that their cage is totally protected while they are outside. More than one bird has been lost when the bottom of the cage fell out or when a predator found out how to get to the cage and the bird. Consider what could happen if a cat got to their cage. Even if the cat could not get to them, it would scare them do death. Also, they will need protection from direct sun....a good area of shade in the cage. Personally, I would not leave them out all day. I am a wild bird fanatic and do have several feeders in my back yard but they do carry many germs that could easily be passed to your lovebirds. Do you have a screened window that you could open and place the cage close to the window? They would still benefit from the fresh air and still hear the calls of the wild birds. My bird room does have several large screened windows and I do open them when it's not too hot or cold so that my lovies can enjoy the outside birds.

Sounds like you are making progress with your birds and a month is not a long time. I'll bet that you'll see a lot more progress in the next month and remember that it can take up to 6 months to earn their trust. I can't offer you any suggestions on stepping up since my adopted bird came to me already stepping up and the other two were hand fed and only 9 1/2 weeks old when I got them so they were very easy to teach.

Oh I didn't know that direct sunlight was bad for them. I thought it would be great for them since they are from the amazon area. My cage is secured and someone always keeps an eye on them. I dont leave them by themselves. I do sometimes leave them next to my screened window and leave the window open. It doesn't really stay hot in San Francisco, just about 70* max on a nice day.

Lindades264
07-28-2006, 08:57 PM
(I can put my hands in the cage. They would sorta get scared but not as much....I try putting my finger in there so Bambam can step onto it but he gets scared. So he is only used to the wooden perch. So what is the next step?)

Hello, (I do not know how to use the quote function so I have put your words in brackets above).

Have you considered 'inviting' your birds out, rather than 'taking' them out. I let my birds come out on their own and then I use the 'step up' command once they are out. Someone once told me that putting ones hand in a cage and trying to take the bird out is like a stranger barging into your home and trying to remove you. Trust and respect are mutual between you and your birds. If possible try this method and see if it works for you. My birds are 6 months old, and I have used this method since I learned of it, when they were 2 months old. Bye for now.

SooBirdy
07-29-2006, 02:14 AM
(I can put my hands in the cage. They would sorta get scared but not as much....I try putting my finger in there so Bambam can step onto it but he gets scared. So he is only used to the wooden perch. So what is the next step?)

Hello, (I do not know how to use the quote function so I have put your words in brackets above).

Have you considered 'inviting' your birds out, rather than 'taking' them out. I let my birds come out on their own and then I use the 'step up' command once they are out. Someone once told me that putting ones hand in a cage and trying to take the bird out is like a stranger barging into your home and trying to remove you. Trust and respect are mutual between you and your birds. If possible try this method and see if it works for you. My birds are 6 months old, and I have used this method since I learned of it, when they were 2 months old. Bye for now.

You mean leaving the cage open and let them fly out? Maybe I'll try that, but the thing is I have 2 birds that will fly out. So I guess I have to get one and put him back.

Lindades264
07-29-2006, 02:20 PM
You mean leaving the cage open and let them fly out? Maybe I'll try that, but the thing is I have 2 birds that will fly out. So I guess I have to get one and put him back.

Hello, Yes that is what I mean. I open the door and they walk out onto the outside of the cage. I then approach them when they are on the cage. I invite them to step up.
If mine fly away, to the window sill, I say "step up" and then they come onto my hand. They never bite with this approach. Are your birds wings trimmed? This will help a great deal. If they are trimmed they may float to the floor when they fly out of the cage. When they float to the floor go up to them and say 'step up'. You may have to cup your hand over their wings until they step up so that they can not fly away. They will be happy to step up at this point because they probably do not want to be on the floor. Once they are on your hand you can work on the command more. This is less intrusive that taking them out of the cage when they may not want to come out. This is how I taught my babies to 'step up'. They know the command, once they are out I simply say 'step up' and they come onto my hand. No problem. How old are you birds? Hope this is clear.