PDA

View Full Version : First time tamer...

armageddon1024
07-31-2006, 02:56 AM
Hi. I recently bought my third lovie, a Peachface, a couple of days ago as some of you may know."He's" (i'm not sure yet, but hoping of this :D) been shy ever since I put the guy in his cage.

Today I decided to let it out of the cage by itself and I tried to get it to stand on my finger. It worked after repeatedly, but gently, forcing it; I even got it to stand on my shoulders for a while. Still, it would only want to jump out shortly after.

So my question is, is it right of me to already start to physically taming the bird? Or, as I've read somewhere around here, should I wait for it to come to me? My thought is that I can get his trust by daily teaching it that I'm not a distrustsful and unfamiliar entity after all. Hence, it'll get more comfortable in my presence. IDK. Has anyone ever got this method to work? Thanks in advance.

linda040899
07-31-2006, 06:09 AM
Your method will work but you will have a better trust relationship with your new bird if you let him come to you. He needs to learn that you will not hurt him on his own terms rather than being gently forced to do so.

sdgilley
07-31-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi,
I agree with Linda, you should be patient and wait for your lovie to come to you. They are intelligent and curious, and he'll want to check you out sooner if you don't force him to do anything. Remember that even though these guys live in our houses, they are still wild animals. I had to learn to keep my hands out of my first lovies cage, he hated them. Now he's a sweetie, but I respect his boundaries especially with his cage. He comes to me readily, especially if he's afraid. :)

Good luck! - got any pictures? ;)

Emery
07-31-2006, 08:20 AM
I agree, wait for him to come to you. Keep the door of the cage open and sit in the room. Talk to him for a bit, then do something else (read, watch tv...). He'll soon realize you're not a threat and come to investigate you. When he does, don't get excited, just remain where you are and move around quietly and slowly so as not to spook him. Good luck. :)

mandy
07-31-2006, 08:36 AM
I had the same situation with mu Biscuit. I think it is a matter of you and the bird trying to figure each other out. What works for me is I open the cage and just let the bird be... That way the bird realizes you mean no harm and can discover you by itself. I agree that patience goes a very long way.

armageddon1024
07-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all your insights on this. I guess the best thing to do here is just be patient with the creature, as you've all been saying throughoutt the boards. I keep my lovie in my room, but I spend more time in the living room. It only makes sense if I move him outside, right?