PDA

View Full Version : Dry fabric softeners

Kumashe
08-01-2006, 01:18 AM
Is it ok to use fabric softeners around birds as long as tthe bird's blankets and such haven't been dried with them? Is it ok to just stuff them into litttle corners of the room Indy's in as long as he doesn't go near it?

Are there any other ways to keep a room smelling fresh?

bellarains
08-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Fabric softener is not good. There is an air freshner that I use that is an all natural orange frangrance, and non-aresol. I have the link at home, and will try and remember to send it to you when I get there tonight. If I forget remind me, I do have senior moments:rolleyes:

You can also boil lemons or cinnamon and set that in your room. If is a wonderful sent, and again, natural. Natural is always a good thing to keep in mind when it comes to birds. There are a few things you can use, and if ever in doubt, you can call the manufacturer to ask. If they don't know, I would not use it.

BarbieH
08-01-2006, 07:46 AM
I, personally, don't like my birds to be too close to dryer sheets when they have a very strong odor. We do use them with our laundry, but sparingly on large loads.

One type of lovie-safe room scent is pure orange oil. If you polish your wood furniture with it, the room will smell great too. :) It's available near the furniture polish in many grocery stores. Lemon oil would probably work as well, and might be easier to find.

Best wishes,

butterfly1061
08-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Take a look at this post as it will give you some suggestions and also the liks to what Bellarains uses. http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?t=4938

mjm8321
08-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Baking soda. Simple, cheap and it works. Sprinkle some on the carpet (provided you have carpet) let it sit for a while or even overnight and then vacuum it up. Like in a refrigerator, you can always leave an open box in the room somewhere that your little lovie can't get at it and i helps to absorb odors.