PDA

View Full Version : When to start?

Mr.Palmisano
08-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Okay, I've had my bird for 2 days now. He doesn't hide in the corner when I'm in the room anymore, and he's eating right and all. My question is when should I start handling him, and what I should do to start?

linda040899
08-02-2006, 11:40 PM
It's a good thing that he's not hiding or running away anymore! I would make myself comfortable next to his cage and let him get to know you better. You can try opening the cage door and let him come to you. Lovebirds are very inquisitive so it should not be long before he will want to know what you are all about. Building the trust relationship on his terms will pay off in the long run!

Sheena
08-03-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm certainly no expert, but it sounds like taking things slowly is the way to go. I've been gradually increasing my interactions with Rob and Laura inside the cage. This past week I have been hand feeding them some millet.

The first day, they didn't come near it - even though they love the stuff. The second day, Rob started eating from my hand. The third day, they both ate. Yesterday, only Rob would eat it. They are getting used to my hand invading their space. They've never been skiddish with anything outside the cage - even the cat nosing around. Quick movements inside the cage cause them to move away.

Take it slow, and your new friend will warm up to you.

butterfly1061
08-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Read this

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showpost.php?p=46187&postcount=7

Janie
08-03-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree, proceed slowly! :D When I adopted my very tame lovebird, Oliver, he'd been handled plenty but because I was new to him, I gave him a couple of months to develop trust in me before I handled him. I'm sure I could have held him the first day but I really wanted him to know that he could trust me first and we do have an incredible bond now.

The other two boys were hand fed and hand friendly when I got them so I actually did handle them from day one but only because they were very, very young, 9 1/2 weeks, and were used to being handled every day by their breeder and her family. Otherwise, I would have given them much more time.