PDA

View Full Version : ANTS!! (Outside)

butterfly1061
08-07-2006, 09:12 AM
I think all the ants in Georgia have come to live in my yard :eek: I sprayed the outside against the foundation and have had no problem with bugs coming into the house. I do, however, have ants all over my yard. I want to use something to get rid of them, but I don't want to hurt the outside birds I feed. I use Camicide inside the house, but I don't want to use it outside in the yard. I need something stronger :evil: Anyone know anything I can use?

Janie
08-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Jackie, I use Spectracide and have for 10 years. Very effective and will kill any type ant including fire ants. I've used it right under my bluebird nest box (fire ants will kill baby bluebirds) and never had a problem with harmful effects to the wild birds. It comes in an orange bag, for outside use only, and can be found at Ace, Home Depot or Lowes. Probably other stores, too. It comes in the form of granules, not a spray, and water activates it.

Mummieeva
08-07-2006, 06:12 PM
We are gettign 7dust for outisde. We do not have many outside birds at all. So not sure if it is safe.

Steph

butterfly1061
08-07-2006, 06:25 PM
I went to HomeDepot at lunch and bought one of the new products that will last all season. I don't need much since I have a VERY small yard. I'm getting ready to spread it. I sure hope it works.

This morning I had a zillion ants in the pantry and used all of my Camicide on them, so this weekend I'll have to go get some more. When I got home from work, I had ants in the birdroom and I found them while I was vacuuming :eek: UGH!!!! >: I HATE ANTS!!! >: I also found them in the extra bathroom next to the birdroom. The are coming in from under the carpet through the slab. I wish winter would hurry up :whistle:

mjm8321
08-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Jackie, the stuff Linda told me about last year for fleas worked like a charm and I'll bet it would work fantastically on theindoor as well as outdoor ants too.......diatomaceous earth. Safe for everyone, except the little nasty critters that crawl over it.

prplecandl
08-07-2006, 06:57 PM
This may be an old trick.. but when we lived on North Carolina we had a yard full of those fire ants, and my mom's mom (grandma) told her to get plain oats and sprinkle in the yard. Once she did, they went away, she said that they take the oats to eat and they blow up the colony. I dont know if we scared them away, or the oats worked, but it was a safe way for us and other animals. :2cents:

butterfly1061
08-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Jackie, the stuff Linda told me about last year for fleas worked like a charm and I'll bet it would work fantastically on theindoor as well as outdoor ants too.......diatomaceous earth. Safe for everyone, except the little nasty critters that crawl over it.
Where can you get this?

TGerard
08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Where can you get this?

Any gardening supply shop/nursery should carry it. Some hardware stores might as well.

If you enter "diatomaceous earth" in Google's Froogle search you can then enter your zip code for retailers near you.

My dad has recommended Terro liquid ant bait to me. It solved his sugar ant invasions in both Michigan and Florida homes. The ants take the poison back to the colony and it destroys them. Anyone else hear about this stuff?

Janie
08-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Tim, I used it last year when I had an ant problem in my garage. The attraction was my wild bird seed which was stored in metal containers but that didn't stop the ants. Fortunately, I could still use the seed, ants and all, and the woodpeckers loved it! :D The product did work well and got rid of the ants almost immediately.

butterfly1061
08-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Well, I ventured out in the heat last night and spread the stuff I bought at HomeDepot around around my yard. I hope it works. This morning I went to the store and bought those "ant baits" (the little back bait things) and put them all over my house. I think I put two or three in the corners of the birdroom and one in the bathroom next to the birdroom. They don't have any scent, but I know they work. If Daisy saw an ant in her cage, she'd freak out :eek: She freaks out over everything. I have vacuumed ants twice in less than 12 hrs in their room. :mad: *sigh*

butterfly1061
08-08-2006, 07:13 PM
UPDATE: Came home from work to find little brown bodies DEAD :evil: , so I vacuumed they right up. I'M SOOOOOO HAPPY!! :happy: Those ant bait things work great.

Buy A Paper Doll
08-08-2006, 07:37 PM
If Daisy saw an ant in her cage, she'd freak out :eek: She freaks out over everything.
She wouldn't just eat it? :x

You should have seen the look of bewilderment on my birds' faces, the day a lizard presented itself in the bird cage.

butterfly1061
08-08-2006, 08:25 PM
She wouldn't just eat it? :x
Something that MOVES???? :eek: Are you kidding? One day there was a gnat in the air and Daisy spotted it. Screamed and fussed for 30 minutes over some teeny tiny gnat flying in the air. She's yellow, but she's a chicken :rolleyes:

Buy A Paper Doll
08-08-2006, 09:04 PM
LOL! One day there was a teeny tiny gnat floating in the air. Milo ate it. Then he gacked it back up for Melody.

As for Melody, if it isn't actually bigger than she is, or a cell phone ('cause those are nasty things) she'll eat it.