PDA

View Full Version : Update on Billy Blue

Therese
08-09-2006, 09:39 AM
I just wanted to let you know the latest. It is day 4. Yesturday I was concerned about everything. Today...Chirpping, eating, climbing up the verticle blinds, eating, did I mention he was eating. I still have not seen him drink water but maybe thats his little secret. Last night he got to sleep on my lap with his blankie round him. He is so darn cute. Things are getting better and I thank all of you for everything.

Therese
08-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Big news! Billy drank water. I put a glass pie dish on the floor with the smallest amount of water and he ran over to it and drank. This will be a great day!

Janie
08-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the update. Sounds like he's settling right in and eating well! :D Surely he is drinking and you're just missing that.

You mentioned that you have an avian vet appt. coming up soon and that is a good thing. No matter how well he's doing now, it is so important to get that first visit in as soon as possible. All of the information that the vet collects on the first visit will be helpful in later visits making it much easier for the vet to detect a change in your bird if that should happen later. He'll listen to the heart beat, weigh your bird and do a gram stain. I always have a culture and sensitivity test done on mine which gives added information.

:D:D:D.....you were posting about the water while I was typing! YIPPEE! I know that is a huge relief! :)

Therese
08-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Yes I have an appointment. I so wonder if Billy is drinking out of his dishes in the cage though. I know he drank water on the floor but he cant be out like that all the time. I guess the day will come when I see everything but right now he is keeping me in suspense.

Janie
08-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Try this: keep the water bowl that is higher and close to the food dish just like you have it and also place one on the bottom of the cage for a few days. Something small but heavy enough that he can perch on it w/o it tipping over. Like a small little Corning-ware bowl.

sdgilley
08-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Good idea, Janie...
put dishes around and see what he likes best!
:)
Thanks for the update!

Therese
08-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I have a question regarding this grit. When I went to the pet store they said I need this in a dish. Is that true?

LauraO
08-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Big news! Billy drank water. I put a glass pie dish on the floor with the smallest amount of water and he ran over to it and drank. This will be a great day!

From what I've read and experienced, lovies don't really drink a lot of water. I rarely see mine drink and most of that is done when I change their waters in the afternoon. I used to have one lovie, Chopper that I worried about. I held a water dish up to him so often that he became dependent on me to give him water8o .

I'm glad that Billy is settling and exploring:)

Therese
08-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Do you know anything about grit. The pet store had me get Hi-Cal Grit. Is this something that needs to be in another dish?

LauraO
08-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Grit is definately a no-no when it comes to lovies and it can cause serious problems if it is ingested. Grit is for birds who cannot hull their seed. Lovebirds are hookbills so this isn't a problem for them. I don't even offer grit to my parakeets who most people believe need grit.

Therese
08-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Well I'm sure gald I asked. I can throw that bottle away. Shows ya how much people know in a pet store. Thanks, I owe Ya!

Janie
08-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Unless you can find a good specialty store or just happen to find a "bird addict" employee at one of the chains, trust me, most of them don't have a clue about pet bird care. I have found two really knowledgeable people in two different Petco's but I'm still waiting to meet one at a PetSmart. You probably already know, after only four days, more about lovebirds than most of those employees do. Cages are about the worst thing to get information on. They'll sell you a cage suitable for a finch and tell you it's plenty big for a lovebird.:rolleyes: I don't think it's because they intentionally give bad advice, they just haven't been trained in pet bird care and fly by the seat of their pants.

Aren't we lucky to have this forum! :D

Therese
08-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Yes I am so glad I have this site to go to. I threw the jar of grit away. As for the info on the cages they sell. I went on this site before I bought anything. I wanted to make sure I had all the right stuff before I even met Billy. I new that I needed a larger cage than what they wanted to tell me. My little Billy has been chirping up a storm today so I guess I've done all the right stuff so far. Thanks for being there for all these questions!!!

Therese
08-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Okay, we don't like peas, corn, brocooli or carrots!

Janie
08-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Keep trying! :D ONE veggie at a time and offer that ONE for two weeks, every day. Broccoli is a good one to start with because it is accepted (eventually) by most. Mine like it raw but some like it steamed. :)

mjm8321
08-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Broccoli is the first veggie I offered my birds originally. Now, I offer them what the rest of the crew gets daily and most seem to take right to it. The Fischers that came in a few weeks back absolutely devour it and have since day one. Chopped raw broccoli, kale and yams/sweet potato are served daily. Corn, peas and carrots offered in that mix 2-3 times a week. Since Billy is just a little fella, try offering the veggies way up high in the cage, maybe in a treat cup (so he thinks it's something really special) and like Janie said, offer it everyday, even if he doesn't take to it right away.

butterfly1061
08-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Here's my :2cents: I posted this in another thread where you mentioned this. :) http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showpost.php?p=47010&postcount=37

Therese
08-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Okay I have a new question. The guy I bought the bird from said to mix this wheat germ oilk in with his seed mix. Well I dont think he likes it. When it was dry he ate a ton of food and then when I added the oil he snubbed his nose and didnt eat. Does he really need this oil? said it was for his skin and feathers???? help!

bellarains
08-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Nope, he doesn't need the wheat germ. If he won't eat his seed with it, I wouldn't use it.

It takes a little bit to introduce new foods, but the fastest way I've found to get mine to eat anything is to actually sit down and eat it with them. Lovies are notorious for wanting what you have, and if you are eating it, it must be good;)

The birdie bread is where I draw the line, I'm not eating it, but mine do love it, and eat it everyday. It is a good way to get some fruits and veggies into their diet, and you can work the others in one at a time.

I also make a soak and cook mix of navy beans,oat groats, split peas, lentils, and a few kidney beans. I soak it overnight, rinse it well with GSE(grapefruit seed extract), rinse after that with water and boil it for about 30 minutes. You can then freeze it in cubes and use as needed. I do add in some long grain rice when I cook it also, as mine love it.

I also make a scrambled egg, broccoli and rice mixture that they love. There are lots of recipes in the recipe section, and you can just experiment till you find what Billy likes. There are many here, myself included whose hubby's say we cook more for our birds than we do for them, and there just might be some truth to it:lol

Therese
08-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I will do some cooking tomorrow. Billy actually took a few nibbles of some brocolli so maybe he will start to try different foods. You have been very helpful, thank you much!

Therese
08-11-2006, 12:00 PM
I have to share this with ya-all. Billy is sitting on his new perch, which he loves and is sound asleep chirping. It is so funny. He really love to sit next to the window and talks to the wild birds outside. They are chirpping up a storm so so is Billy but he's asleep.

BarbieH
08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Must be the time of day, Therese. :) I've got some little boys doing the exact same thing over here. I agree, it is the sweetest sound. I love watching their sleeping faces while they tweetle and twortle. :D

butterfly1061
08-11-2006, 01:06 PM
I love those sounds! I get to listen to them on the weekends. I peek around the corner to their room and watch them tuck their heads and "twortle" (love that word) :happy: