PDA

View Full Version : should I be concerned

bird dad
08-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi all, I am very new to lovebirds, I bought a pair yesterday and noticed that one of them is biting their plastic band, it isn't tight, so it doesn't appear to be pinching or cuting him. Is he just playing with it or is it a concern

thanks
birddad

Katy
08-14-2006, 04:49 PM
It's probably more like somthing to do/chew on, rather than it hurting him/her. It's just keeping itself occupied, I'd assume. But if it really looks like it's bothering your bird, take it back to the breeder to see if they can remove it for you.

mjm8321
08-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Plastic legband? If so, take them to the breeder or a vet and have them removed. Only closed aluminum or steel bands should be use on lovebirds.

bird dad
08-14-2006, 05:02 PM
I think it is aluminum it is grey, thanks all I will keep an eye on it and ask the breeder. thanks

bird dad

Katy
08-14-2006, 05:10 PM
a silver colored leg band is the norm. Does your bird have many toys? Perhaps try distracting him from playing with it by giving him other toys to play with.

Janie
08-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Different breeders use different colors (so I've been told by my breeder). I can't remember if the color represents the year, i.e. 2006, for the hatches that one breeder has or if it has to do with the parents or what but I do know that not all bands are the same color.

Both of mine had bands when I bought them and I had both removed at their first vet appointment 2 days later. Since I know my breeder and their hatch dates I saw no reason to leave them on and I figured there was always the chance that they'd start picking at their own or at the other's. A band could be a great thing if your bird accidently got out. The band could be traced back to the breeder (Linda, correct me if I'm wrong here) and then the breeder could get in touch with you.

Since your breeder lives so far away, it would probably be easier to have them removed by an avian vet if you do decide to have them removed. I was stunned that my vet charged $20 for each bird considering it took her less than a second to do it but I knew that *I* certainly could not do it w/o cutting off a leg! :eek: