PDA

View Full Version : Obie is a.....

snowboardmandy
08-17-2006, 03:53 PM
GIRL!!!

I got my DNA results, as well as the results of all the other things the vet tests for. Obie is a healthy lil girl!

I wasn't expecting a girl, for some reason. I knew there was no way of knowing without testing, but "he" was just a "he" to me....

So I was wondering, with GCC's, what age to I have to start worrying about nesty-hen behavior to start? She's only 15ish weeks old right now, still just a lil baby.

I did see her take bites off a piece of paper the other day, which made me suspicious...and she loooves to hide or tunnel, but I thought all GCCs did this?

I leave for vacation in a few hours here...I decided to take Obie up to the breeder's last night to board her for 4 days. I felt bad though, as soon as she flew over to her siblings, they just attacked her! Trying to establish a pecking order, perhaps? After the initial fight, things seemed OK. She was loving up to the sun conures instead, they didn't seem to mind. Tammy said she would monitor them closely...though I am still wondering how she's doing!

It's a GIRL!! Maybe time to consider a new name?

bellarains
08-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Mandy,

I'm not positive about hens, but males reach their sexual maturity somewhere around 2 years of age. I would assume, hens are about the same, or right around that age. Jeannette(Rubygem)from whom I'm getting my new baby from can tell you more, as she breeds them.

Well, Obie is the word for Kimono sash, so I think it might be good for a girl too:)

kimsbirds
08-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Congrats on your lil girlie!
I've got a female too, our Abbey is so sweet. Lately though, I can tell you that when my son pets her down her back, she does make this little chirpy grumbly sound, which she's not done until about 3 weeks ago. According to GCC sites, this is an early indication of maturity. We are now avoiding paper, shreddables etc just to be safe. There is no mood difference (ie: fiesty or nippy) and I hope she stays this way !!!!
Pics please !!!!

Kimmie

Janie
08-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Mandy, congratulations! :D I was thinking of Kimmie's sweet Abbey when you said that Obie was a girl. Those GCC's are just adorable.....and *I* want one! :whistle: