PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Susi
08-22-2006, 09:56 AM
I have had my little lovebird for 12 years and she has never been ill. She spends a lot of time outside of her cage and has always been happy and healthy. This morning she was eating and suddenly collapsed, her neck was swinging from side to side and she could not balance, she was very disorientated. I managed to get her back in her cage, she went to sleep and is now behaving normally. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, but has anyone had a similar experience? I am inclined to think it has something to do with her age, but if anyone could shed some light I would be grateful.

ddargenio
08-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Susi it sounds like a seizure to me since she is now behaving normally. It's good your taking her to the vet - hope it's nothing too serious and she gets well.

Janie
08-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Susi, I have no idea what the problem might be but from what I've read here it does sound like a seizure to me, too. Yes, I'm so glad you're going to the vet tomorrow. Please let us know how she's getting along. I have an older lovie, not sure of his age but around 10, and I'm very interested in any and all information I can get about another older bird. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your little lovie. :)

Susi
08-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all your good wishes, I will let you know how she gets on xxx

Christine9
08-22-2006, 02:19 PM
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that she is ok. I've never had that happen to any of my birds (my oldest is only 5), but I agree, it does sound like a seizure. Good luck and let us know what the vet says.

Susi
08-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Update on my little one, she is behaving perfectly normally now, almost as if nothing happened. Since she doesn't like being handled, the vet suggested that it would be too traumatic to examine her at this stage, but suggested I keep a close eye on her. It looks like she did have a seizure, poor little thing, they are such small birds with such big personalities and she has been a part of my life for so long, hopefully she will make a full recovery.