PDA

View Full Version : Indy got his foot stuck in the cage!

Kumashe
08-23-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm really worried. Its a good thing I was there. I was showing him the new playgym I got him for his hatchday and he got his toe stuck in between two bars. I didn't realized he was stuck until he beat his wings 2-3 times. When I did notice, I rushed over to help him, which may have given him an extra instentive to get his toe unstuck quick. >o I can't explain how the bars were arranged. There is slight scrollwork in the front. This album has pictures of the cage: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107161521. This is the 1st time this has happened. I think Indy was so intrigued by the playgym that he wasn't paying attention to where he put his feet. I'm not sure if I should change the cage or not. There is another cage a Petco that is similar to this, but the pictures I've seen of it don't show the front well. I don't know if it has the same type of scrollwork or not. Poor Indy. He's ok right know, but for the past few minutes he's been tucking his injured foot in.

Here's the playgym: http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_485_PC_productlist_Nav_271_N_25+10 354_cp_4_Nao_36_sku_719595_familyID_8273.aspx

snowboardmandy
08-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Poor Indy! I have the "similar" Petco cage that your refer too...the one that is tan and green. It does have the same kind of scroll work. I've only had my GCC in it for about a month, no problems so far, but I will definitely have to take a closer look when I get home today. If you look at my post in the Picture Gallery with pictures of Obie, it shows the cage I have....hope his toe is OK!!

Lindades264
08-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Hello,

In my opinion, I would take the item back if it is dangerous. I am not sure Lovebirds really pay close attention to where they put their feet. They are very fast movers and very spontaneous. Everything should be safe in their environment. Good luck.

bellarains
08-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Scroll work is pretty, but can be dangerous for little footsies. You might be able to cover the scroll work in some way, maybe with material, or possible a piece of plexi glass with holes drilled in each corner and attached with screws on the outside of the cage.

Keep an eye on his foot to be sure he is not favoring it in any way, and also for swelling. Feet are very important to birds, so if you think there is an injury, take him to the vet ASAP.

BarbieH
08-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Sammy was accident prone in his cage when he was younger. His toes have been bit by other birds, and he got one caught in a choa wood perch. The nail got caught in one of the wood's holes; you wouldn't typically think of that type of perch being dangerous, either.

Sammy is a little bit more of a clutz because a couple of his toes don't seem to face backwards. They go forward all on their own, and the nails that should be sticking down, are sticking up. So he isn't as sure-footed, say, as his brother Didjit. I'm more careful about what kinds of toys and perches go into their cage. I also keep a close watch on the condition of toys and perches.

Best wishes,