PDA

View Full Version : Screamer

Screamer
08-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm new here. I have a peach faced lovebird which I have raised since a few months old, today she/he is almost 14.

Very loveable but can drive you crazy with the screaming, specially the high pictced ones. Also I keep her in the living room which I spend alot of my time in and the problem is that I cannot even move from my seat without her screaming to come out. it is very frustrating, ignoring her does not work, I am forced to put her in the other room for a little while because the screaming is unbearable the problem with that is that I can litteraly put here in and out of the other room all night long even if she has been out for a long time. I don't like covering her early because its not fair to her. Any suggestions?

linda040899
08-25-2006, 08:11 PM
You are actually very lucky to have a lovebird who wants to be with you so much. You have her trust and that has to be earned. Some lovie owners would do anything to have the kind of relationship that you have with yours.

Some of the screaming may also be contact calls. This is how birds communicate in the wild. When their beloved mate is out of sight, they call back and forth so they know where the other one is. Perhaps calling back to her may be a partial answer. Several of my larger parrots are like that. They can't see me so a "call" from me assures them that I'm still here.

Screamer
08-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Hi Linda040899,

All I can say is good point. Thanks

linda040899
08-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Unlike cats or dogs, birds are flock animals. Being owned by a lovebird makes you a member of that flock and your lovie will treat you as such. Also unlike cats or dogs, birds are simply wild animals that we have tamed. They are not domesticated enough yet to have lost natural instinct, even though they have become pets and many are handraised by humans.

Janie
08-25-2006, 10:45 PM
You have a fourteen year old lovebird!!!!!! Congratulations! :) Cherish every moment!

BarbieH
08-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi;

When my birds get wound up, it can be a bit raucous. ;) (That's putting it mildly!) I've gotten to the point where I start singing along with them, or calling out their names. It's great, because they don't care what my singing sounds like. :D

If it's an alarm call (for instance, if they see the vacuum cleaner or evil mop handle), I find that kissing sounds and multiple clicking sounds, made near the front of the teeth, help them calm down. Don't know why, and it may just be my birds, but it works for them ... eventually.

Best wishes,

butterfly1061
08-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I talk to mind ALL the time. I think the girls at work have even heard my "bird tone talk" :blush: When I vacuum with the shopvac I put them two to a cage (my 4 birds are spoiled and have a large cage each) so they can snuggle up and yell at it. I talk to them the whole time so they get too upset. :whistle:

Susi
08-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Mine is 12 and has screamed since the day I got her, she even used to fly after me if I left the room. I have learned that she just likes the attention and she is very clever as she blackmails me into playing with her, she has even been accused of ruling the household! I'm sure if she was not around the house would seem too quiet now.

Kathryn
08-27-2006, 02:19 PM
We are now up to 12. :happy: The singing can be very loud...usually early morning wake up time and evening before bedtime..like the Waltons..G'night Johnboy, Mary Ellen, etc.:happy:
Contact calls are currently going on between two rooms...the three in quarantine are very young and are calling to the other nine who are responding.

Buy A Paper Doll
08-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Usually when mine make contact calls, I just call or whistle back to them and they're content. Other times they make noise just for the sake of making noise.

Mine are quite loud right now: chirps, whistles, peeps, clucks, R2D2 sounds, etc. If I walk into the living room with them, you could hear a pin drop. Leave the room and they're right back to it.

My hen has a particularly obnoxious habit of shrieking like a car alarm when she's angry about something. Being a feisty little thing, this happens quite frequently.

KiwiMango
08-27-2006, 08:52 PM
I dunno about all this screaming, but I'd have to say my Mango loves to scream just for the sake of screaming, non stop for no reason for hours, even more annoying then his warning calls and 10 times louder. He esp does this when flying and jumping around outside the cage showing off to his love. I've noticed since we got the second bird Kodiak, it seems he loves to boss her around too, contact calls...ha!..those seems like whispers out of them to me now. Mango is just about 8 months old and for the past two weeks has been flying well so I have a feeling this is his 'i'm a big boy' attitude. Kodiak still has her sweet calling nature like Mango used to be and boy do they test and ignore me these days. Oh they are growing up, no more head scratches:rolleyes: