PDA

View Full Version : The Difference between a Pocket Parrot and a Lovebird?

spffysista
08-25-2006, 08:18 PM
The other day my mom was outside with her Cockatiel. A tame little bird flew down on her Cockatiel's cage. The bird jumped on my mom and she took it inside. I have a Lovebird (Chico), and my mom thought the bird she found (or that found her!) was a Lovebird also, but, when I saw him/her, it didn't quite look right. I'm not a bird expert, I just have Chico. So, I was wondering if anyone knew what the differences between Lovebirds and Pocket Parrots are, or atleast how to figure out what it is. Thanks!

kimsbirds
08-25-2006, 08:26 PM
As far as I am aware, "Pocket Parrot" is a nickname term given for any small breed hand tamed bird ie: budgie, canary, lovebird, conure, parrotlet.
It's not a "breed" or a "type", rather just a common slang term, at least thats' what I've been told ! :)

Kimmie

spffysista
08-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Ha ha ha...that's what I thought...but my mom convinced me other wise....so what I am changing my question to regard is Parrotlet...

linda040899
08-25-2006, 08:41 PM
Parrotlets are the smallest parrots and are actually members of the Amazon family. They are native to South America, where Lovebirds are native to Africa. There are many species of Parrotlet but the ones seen most often are Pacificas and Green Rumps. If the one who found your mom is a Pacifica, they are visually sexable. Males have some blue feathering, while females are all green. Can you get any photos?

spffysista
08-25-2006, 09:24 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/spffysista/100_0119.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/spffysista/100_0193.jpg
These pictures aren't great...but here you go.

linda040899
08-25-2006, 09:27 PM
That's a Pied Blue Peachfaced Lovebird and a nice looking one at that!

spffysista
08-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Cool. Thank you! Now, we're just waiting to see if anyone claims her/him.

Eliza
09-01-2006, 07:54 PM
TOTALLY an afterthought... but didn't folks use to call the various brotogeris parakeets (grey cheeked, canary winged, etc.) pocket parrots?

I've heard such great things about the brotos with one caveat: they are difficult to breed :(

Anyway, I hope that the pretty pied lovie finds its owners... although I have a feeling it has found a caring home!

-e-

chris_lynn
09-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Cool. Thank you! Now, we're just waiting to see if anyone claims her/him.
OH thats MY lovebird *cough* *cough* ;)