PDA

View Full Version : Visitor

RicosPoppy
08-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Well, I always put seed out for the wild birds.

Today we had a special guest and I had a feeling he wasn't looking for seed....:whistle:

The picture is blurry but still worth posting.

http://www.woesner.com/hosted/bill/cooper.jpg

Christine9
08-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Oh my...that pic is creeping my out, lol! :x Just the way he is just standing there, staring in the window...waiting...:rofl: Ok, I'm going to have to play bird-dumb here, is that a hawk? I saw something similar a few weekends ago in my mother's yard (she also feeds the birds). I have to admit, in person, they are very beautiful, and big!

mjm8321
08-30-2006, 01:46 PM
It doesn't look real!!!!!!?????? Look at it's feet?!!!! :eek: :eek: That is scary!

Keep Rico away from the window!

RicosPoppy
08-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Christine, yes, it's a Hawk.

Specifically a Coopers Hawk.
We live in Ohio and we acutally have quite a few of them, along with Sharp Shinned Hawks and Red Tailed Hawks.

It does look a bit surreal. Especially when you look at the feet.
I see him in the back yard alot but this is the first time he perched on the deck so close.

I was going to make a joke about him looking for a "Rico Tender". Good thing I didn't aye MJ... ;)

ddargenio
08-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Looks to me like he's looking for Rico sandwich!!! Stay away from that window RICO!!!!

mjm8321
08-30-2006, 02:39 PM
I was going to make a joke about him looking for a "Rico Tender". Good thing I didn't aye MJ... ;)

The funniest part of this is that Rico, would most probably make a charge for the window (like most of my crew would) and scare the hawk right off. No Rico Tenders on the menu please! :D

RicosPoppy
08-30-2006, 03:02 PM
The funniest part of this is that Rico, would most probably make a charge for the window (like most of my crew would) and scare the hawk right off. No Rico Tenders on the menu please! :D

Isn't that the truth.

Although with Rico I'm not sure if he would try to chase him off, or Gack on on him.

Either way I'm sure Rico was the only one out of me and my wife who wasn't intimidated by the hawk. :confused:

Janie
08-30-2006, 04:09 PM
I see Coopers in my yard several times a week and find the MoDo (Morning Dove) feathers as proof of their visit. Wow, they are so gorgeous. A couple of years ago when the bird room was still a screened in porch Oliver spent his days out there in his cage. I came home to find a MoDo kill on the back deck which is just off the screened in porch and I am sure that Oliver "witnessed" it all unless he was in a deep sleep, taking a nap! :eek:

Lindades264
08-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi, when I looked at the photo I thought it was a little freaky and also wondered if it was real. Can not say I have ever seen anything like that before. I hope it did not scare your bird. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Z28Taxman
08-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Cool! I have a cooper's or sharp shinned that sits on my roof every now and then. I see him take off when I step outside.

I had a Perigrine Falcon do that to me one morning at work. I was sitting at my desk and got that feeling you get when someone is staring over your shoulder (I sit with my back to the window). I turned around and was staring right into the eyes of a falcon. :omg: Quite a shock when you don't expect it. But they are absolutely stunning birds.

Buy A Paper Doll
08-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Very cool photo!

We have one of those that circles the yard whenever I take the birds outside. Even though they are safely in their cage the whole time, that thing makes me nervous!

I tried to get a photo of him perched on my neighbor's screen enclosure but the photo was too small.

bellarains
08-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Wow!!!! I bet that freaked Rico out. I know it would have freaked me out. They are beautiful birds, but they have very eerie eyes:rolleyes:

Kathryn
08-30-2006, 10:50 PM
I agree with Lori, The eyes are really eerily stunning.
We have many hawks, owls and buzzards in our woods that circle the open fields looking for tidbits (mice, snakes and rabbits). We have even had a bald eagle land in our pasture with its kill. But we have never had a predatory bird land in the yard...much less on the deck!! :eek:

BarbieH
09-01-2006, 08:11 AM
EEP! :eek:

That's the one thing about birdfeeders: They also attract the predators that feed on the birds. In the winter, our feeder also doubles as a smorgasbord for feral cats if we don't chase them away in time.