PDA

View Full Version : The sparrows must be frisky this year.

Z28Taxman
09-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I stepped out back this evening to get some air and in the yard where I dumped Ditto's avi-cake and nutriberry crumbs I saw this tiny little bird chowing down. After sneaking around so I didn't scare him away I got a good look at him. It was a fledgling sparrow.

Must have had good breeding weather this year and at least one pair decided there aren't enough of them around here. :cool:

linda040899
09-04-2006, 08:17 PM
One pair must have found a nesting place safe from all the horrible weather we had this year!!! It's nice to see young birds survived everything that Mother Nature has thrown at us...... :eek:

Cathy
09-04-2006, 08:30 PM
I throw my birds' left overs outside, too. My problem is keeping my dogs from eating it. They seem to love bird seed. They are always looking for whatever my birds throw out of the cage.

linda040899
09-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Cathy,
I've got a "doggie" vaccuum that lives with me, too! He tries to be inconspicuous but it's hard to hide what you've been doing when you come back with a feather stuck to your nose!!! :whistle:

I had to stop throwing the leftover seed outside in my backyard. Not only did it draw birds, it brought squirrels and rodents!

Z28Taxman
09-04-2006, 08:53 PM
One pair must have found a nesting place safe from all the horrible weather we had this year!!! It's nice to see young birds survived everything that Mother Nature has thrown at us...... :eek:

The weather here hasn't been bad this year. Other than the floods in june and a couple of hot weeks, it's been quite nice. That little one better grow up fast. It's gonna start getting chilly.

Z28Taxman
09-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Cathy,
I've got a "doggie" vaccuum that lives with me, too! He tries to be inconspicuous but it's hard to hide what you've been doing when you come back with a feather stuck to your nose!!! :whistle:

I had to stop throwing the leftover seed outside in my backyard. Not only did it draw birds, it brought squirrels and rodents!

My boss has a BFA that will actually call his dog into the room and throw the food that he doesn't like to the dog. :lol

There's nothing I could do to stop squirrels and rabbits from coming around here. I think there are more of them than there are sparrows. :eek: My next door neighbor puts out peanuts for the squirrels. There's a blue jay that will sit and wait for them peanuts to come out and chase the squirrels off so he can get them first. Then he'll fly over to my fence post and peck at the shell like a woodpecker to get to the peanut while the squirrels yell at him. :happy: