PDA

View Full Version : Head bobbing?

Alexander
09-06-2006, 12:13 AM
I've been sitting Poe on my fingers more lately, petting him, making trying to imitate his happy noise as I rub his back with my noise (general bonding stuff), and he's been doing this weird headbobbing lately. It happens mostly when I pet him from head to tail several times over. He somewhat closes his eyes, opens his mouth, sticks his tongue out and bobs his head. Now, I've heard about this gacking, but he isn't making any sound, just the motions described above.

Any ideas?

bellarains
09-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Gacking doesn't really have a noise associated with it, it is just the head bobbing, and occasional regurgitation of food. Alot of birds will try and feed their human mates fingers, and this may be what Poe is doing.

The back rub is kind of like "The Spot" for birds. When you rub their back, it set hormones in motion, and they get a little armourous. Nothing like a good back rub to get a lovie going;)

Janie
09-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Yep, no noise with gacking. I can't remember if Poe has been DNA'd? If he is a male, it's fine to pet him from head to tail (if he likes that) but I think I read here that it can set a female into nesting mode so it's not recommended if your bird is a female.

Alexander
09-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Yep, no noise with gacking. I can't remember if Poe has been DNA'd? If he is a male, it's fine to pet him from head to tail (if he likes that) but I think I read here that it can set a female into nesting mode so it's not recommended if your bird is a female.

Yes, he's been DNA'ed male, and has shown a few signs of it as well (he balls up paper and spits it out, instead of shredding and tucking.) Thanks for the response :) .

bellarains
09-06-2006, 12:04 PM
If you rub my male on the back when he is in a hormonal stage he will start doing what we call the clicky, clicky. He will make a clicking noise, scratch his head, gack, and then he will proceed to do the swishy, swishy(self gratification) dance. Now mine does this on my shoulder, or on top of my head, so needless to say, I try not to pet his back when he's hormonal:rolleyes:

JoJo
10-05-2006, 11:28 AM
My "Dicky" does the same thing. How long do they stay hormonal? Anyone Know? I will try not to rub the back of his head for now:rofl: . Jo Jo

bellarains
10-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Hormonal stages vary depending upon the bird. Bela is usually pretty "armourous" for about 4-6 weeks. Somewhere inbetween that time, I have to give a cold shower or two. Hey, it's works for the moment, but it's not a permanent fix:rolleyes:

JoJo
10-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks I hope it's over soon, he's not his usual silly self. JoJo

Tango's_Mom
10-06-2006, 07:24 AM
If you rub my male on the back when he is in a hormonal stage he will start doing what we call the clicky, clicky. He will make a clicking noise, scratch his head, gack, and then he will proceed to do the swishy, swishy(self gratification) dance. Now mine does this on my shoulder, or on top of my head, so needless to say, I try not to pet his back when he's hormonal:rolleyes:

Tango will do the clicking, head scratching, he does bob his head from time to time but it doesn't really look like gacking, when he's out with me he has yet to even attempt the swishy swishy, but then again he's only a baby (although I'm thinking that won't last long) and I have never DNA'd him so I don't even really know that "he" is a boy. I don't pet his back, mostly because he still thinks fingers are something evil to be attacked and bloodied, but I do sometimes snuggle him against my cheek and neck, and this is usually when the clicking starts, It makes me laugh, he looks so adorable, getting all show-offy for his mama.

Screamer
10-20-2006, 07:11 PM
my 2 cents is that:

head bobbing=very happy

this is my opinion.