PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new (to everything!) Help?

jasperasj
09-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Hi! So I am a brand-spanking-new bird owner, I got my black-masked lovebird on Tuesday, I believe. His name is Simon and I adore him. But (bearing with me) I need some advice.

First of all, I bought him from a pet store, so he's not so human-friendly yet. (funny that he isn't a bit afraid of my two cats, but terrified of me!) I've been keeping his cage near me, talking and singing to him, trying to give him treats through his bars, etc. I haven't tried to grab him or poke at him; I know that'll just frighten him more. I guess my question is, any advice about things to do to gain his trust? I know it's just a matter of time before he realizes I'm not going to hurt him, but if I can do anything to help him along, I'd like to. :)

Also, someone told me that it takes a LONG time for lovebirds to become friendly with people (he said his did not let him pet it for eleven years!). That of course scared me and broke my heart a little to think it was true, because I did not get Simon just to be a decoration in my living room.. I want to be "friends." Does it sound like this person is exaggerating? Is it normal to take a really long time for lovebirds to get acquainted, or do you think it is on a bird-by-bird basis?

Hopefully things will keep progressing.. the first day he hid in the corner of his cage and wouldn't move, and screeched when I reached in to feed him or attatch a toy, and today he got out and walked around the living room, walking near me and playing the "mirror game" with me (he flapped his wings, I flapped my arms.. he realized it was a game and we did it until I got tired and gave up, haha). He's just not keen on letting me touch him yet. :P

Anyway, I'm really happy to have him and I just want to make him happy to be in my home, too! Thanks for any advice you could give me!

butterfly1061
09-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Hello and welcome to the board.

In this Behavior & Taming forum, you will find very recent answers to the questions you just asked. My best advice is to read through them and you will find many tips on how to tame your new lovie. Patience is a VERY big factor when taming a lovebird. Read as much as you can and you will see the same advice given time & time again. :)

linda040899
09-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Also, someone told me that it takes a LONG time for lovebirds to become friendly with people (he said his did not let him pet it for eleven years!). That of course scared me and broke my heart a little to think it was true, because I did not get Simon just to be a decoration in my living room.. I want to be "friends." Does it sound like this person is exaggerating?
This person obviously didn't try very hard to socialize his/her lovie! All live creatures will respond to love, kindness and patience. How quickly you gain his trust depends on how much quality attention he gets from you. He has to learn that he is safe in his new home and there are no shortcuts. He will learn from experience so it won't happen overnight.

Masked Lovebirds tend to be a bit more flighty but they can also make wonderful pets. Is yours green or blue?

jasperasj
09-17-2006, 10:16 AM
He is green. :)

LauraO
09-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Simon is a green masked lovebird and Linda is right about them being a little more of a challenge to tame and build a relationship with than peachface lovebirds.

It sounds as if you are starting out on the right foot with Simon. Taking it slow and letting things progress on his own time is the best way. I also wanted to add that Simon may never let you pet him but that doesn't mean he has to be an ornament. My lovie Zimber is six years old and he hates to be petted, but he has taught me I can have a loving and fun relationship with a lovie without touching him. Not liking hands doesn't mean they won't pester you either. This morning Zimber was driving me crazy hopping on my head, nibbling on my ear and basically wanting to be in on whatever I was doing.

I also suggest you read through the resource library and the taming thread along with the Misc stuff. Most of the questions you have will be answered there.

Welcome to you and Simon! I hope to hear more about you and his birdy adventures:D .

jasperasj
09-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Oh nevermind, I read wrong. :)