PDA

View Full Version : What kind of lovebird do I have?

DShannon
09-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Hi all :)

I've had my lovebird, Meiko, for 2 months now. He's a new adventure for me and so far, so good.

He (or she) is a dull green all over except for bright turquoise tail feathers. I selected him because he was a handfed baby with a surprisingly good personality. Wasn't concerned about color at the time but since he's changing, I'm now curious. His forehead was previously a lighter greyish green but he seems to be growing bright peachy-orange feathers on his brow. I thought at first he had rubbed his head on a new toy and the color rubbed off since he was wet at the time. Well that was a month ago! He's getting more orange as he goes but it's splotchy.. And if it had been the toy then he just as likely could be bright pink, blue and purple too. haha

I'd like to know what type of lovebird he is. I didn't think to ask the vet at his initial check-up. I was just so pleased that he was healthy and a good match for our family. I would post a picture but it appears I'm not able, and that's fine. I thought someone here may know just from the description. Oh, and he's approximately 5 months old presently. Or at least that's what I have to go on from the fellow who sold him to me.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Dawn

DShannon
09-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Just figured out how to add a pic to my profile so I'm posting again to see if it works. If not, blame it on user error. Love my pets, useless with my husband's favorite pet - the computer. :)

Dawn

linda040899
09-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Hi Dawn,
Sounds like your lovie is going through his first moult and is getting his adult feathering. He should be finished with this in a few more weeks. Do you have any photos of him that we can see? Sometimes it's hard to determine which mutation without actually being able to see what the bird looks like. From your description, he sounds like he's a blue series lovie.

DShannon
09-17-2006, 08:49 AM
I'm having difficulty adding a picture to my posts. (It tells me down below that I'm not allowed to add attachments and I don't have pictures posted online to just add the URL. But if you click on my login (DShannon) and select to view my public profile, there's a little pic of Meiko there when I first received him on July 18th. Not sure if you can see enough from that or not. It doesn't show him with the new color on his forehead, though.

Dawn

DShannon
09-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Last attempt - I've added Meiko's picture to my signature. Fingers crossed. :)

linda040899
09-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Hi Dawn,
The problem with your photo was that it was too big. I saved the photo you used to my own desktop, resized it from 300 dpi to 72 dpi and re-uploaded it. It's working now. A photo in your signature would require that a photo be posted in Photobucket, Webshots or some other URL where linking to just one image is allowed. In our Photo Gallery, most of the links go to Imagestation but Imagestation will not allow you to link to just one photo.

DShannon
09-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Thank you so much for doing that! I'll have to go without a picture in my signature then but having the little shot by my name is fine with me. I appreciate your help with that. :)