PDA

View Full Version : New bird at home

Kathryn
09-17-2006, 05:22 PM
My neice just brought me her daughter's PF Lutino that she has had for three months. At first the thought was the daughter's reaction to Lemon Zest was because he/she must have some biologic problem. When testing didn't show anything wrong, the doctors started testing the daughter.

Zest has gone thru as many tests as the daughter did before they determined that the daughter is allergic to birds. So Zest has a completely clean bill of health!

I think I'm going to quarantine Zest for at least a week, but otherwise since he/she has had all the tests to rule out bacteria, biologic concerns, I'm going to introduce him/her to the flock. I will do a DNA test during the quarantine.

Anyone think I should wait longer?

Now we have 15 lovies. Humbby was glad it wasn't a Macaw!:evil: :happy:

bellarains
09-17-2006, 06:01 PM
Kathryn,

Was Lemon Zest tested for PBFD and Polyoma? If not I would definitely observe quarantine.

It is always a chance if you don't observe quarantine, but then again, 90 days really should be minimum. I myself waited 30 days even though I did get negative results to all tests. It's a personal call, but I would suggest as least 30 days.

Kathryn
09-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Yes both PFBD and Polyoma were negative tests. Some of the other tests included herpesvirus, Paramyxovirus, TB, and chlamydiosis.

Lemon Zest was purchased from a private breeder and was with Amy for 3 months away from any birds, dogs, etc.

That's why I wondered about whether that amount of time would have served as a "quarantine" period.

Quarantine has been a well defined process for new birds here, too.

Janie
09-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Kathryn, my personal call is that she's fine. I think a week is OK. Again, that's just what I'd do since all those test have already been run and Zest has not been around any other birds for the last three months.

I have a funny feeling that one of my sons might be allergic to birds. He's fine all day and then walks into this house an sneezes his head off. I mean for hours and many, many sneezes. He is definitely allergic to cats, that we already knew. I wonder how far the dander spreads? He sneezes just as much upstairs as down and the birds are downstairs, in their own room, 90% of the time. Oh well, if it gets to bad for him.....we sure are gonna miss him when he goes! :D :D :D

Cathy
09-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Janie, I would cover the room vents with cheese cloth in both the bird room and your son's bedroom. You might also want to keep a pair of shoes in the bird room that you wear just when you are in there. With central air and heat the air is circulated throughout the entire house. You could also try a room air purifier in both rooms. It might be less painful than losing your son. I hope that the allergy is not avian. My middle son had asthma from the age of 6 months until he was about 5 and then he grew out of it. Thank you, God.

I hope that you can find a workable solution. Good luck!

Janie
09-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Janie, I would cover the room vents with cheese cloth in both the bird room and your son's bedroom. You might also want to keep a pair of shoes in the bird room that you wear just when you are in there. With central air and heat the air is circulated throughout the entire house. You could also try a room air purifier in both rooms. It might be less painful than losing your son. I hope that the allergy is not avian. My middle son had asthma from the age of 6 months until he was about 5 and then he grew out of it. Thank you, God.

I hope that you can find a workable solution. Good luck!

Cathy, I should have mentioned that our son will be 24 in a few days and we are dying to LOSE him! :D Both of my sons had and out grew asthma.

Eliza
09-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Cathy, I should have mentioned that our son will be 24 in a few days and we are dying to LOSE him! :D Both of my sons had and out grew asthma.

I'm sorry... that's too funny... :rofl:

-e-

linda040899
09-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Hi Kathryn,
Since Lemon Zest was the only bird in the house and he/she has been tested for most of the major illnesses, I think a week quarantine would be OK. I usually don't suggest less than 30 days, but it sounds like quarantine of 90 days has already happened! :)

Z28Taxman
09-19-2006, 10:04 AM

Well then I suggest getting more birds.:rofl:

bellarains
09-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Dave,

I'm working on it. I think Janie will find herself with a GCC in time. Maybe I need to bring my guys for a little visit just to remind her what she's missing:whistle:

butterfly1061
09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
I think Janie will find herself with a GCC in time. Maybe I need to bring my guys for a little visit just to remind her what she's missing:whistle:Lori, Janie said you have to come stay with me the next time you visit cause she doesn't want you tempting her with anymore birds :rofl: Personally, I think she needs to get a GCC. :D

bellarains
09-19-2006, 12:25 PM
OK, but you know how I love that little Piper;)

Kathryn
09-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Yep, Janie, A GCC would be a perfect replacement for a son...good sense of humor, eats what it is fed and freely gives affectionation.

Thanks Janie and Linda, Zest will be joining the flock next week. Right now we are socializing him/her and are finding a very friendly kissy birdie!

butterfly1061
09-19-2006, 02:35 PM
OK, but you know how I love that little Piper;)Ummm, maybe you could stay with Jeanette? :whistle:

bellarains
09-19-2006, 03:18 PM
Yeah,

Jeanette is a good choice. (Note to self, buy a bigger suitcase);)

butterfly1061
09-19-2006, 03:22 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Call me, I'll come help ;)