PDA

View Full Version : Progressing from the "step up" command

tinker
09-23-2006, 02:21 PM
We are slowly accomplishing the "step Up" command however this may sound strange how do you keep the lovie on the perch or hand after they step up?
Thanks for your help
Joan

bellarains
09-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Joan,

Are you saying your lovie is having a hard time perching, or that he is flying off after he steps up? If it's the later, it's not too uncommon. Lovies are very, very active little birds, and they don't normally stay perched for long. They are waaaay to busy for that, and there is too much to explore.

If he is having a hard time perching, he may just be unsure of the hand still. Do however make sure all of his toes are gripping firmly though. Foot health is very important, so you always want to make sure they have a variety of healthy foot perches in the cage.

Janie
09-24-2006, 08:53 AM
I agree with Lori. All three of mine willingly step up but once they're up....they move on to higher grounds, usually my shoulder. :)

Cathy
09-24-2006, 10:21 AM
I give mine a treat. Usually some dehydrated fruit or vegetable unless I am eating something healthy. I have some special treats that they only get when they're out of their cages. You'd think that my birds would have improved my diet by now!

tinker
09-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the help. He does step up for a few seconds and then he's off again. I've been trying it in the bath tub so I don' have to chase him very far. He's is definitely quick and has learned the one place we can't reach him quickly is under the pedestal table. He is so funny. :rofl: