PDA

View Full Version : My lovebirds "behavior"

justme_123
09-24-2006, 01:11 PM
This is a odd question, but is directly related at my love birds behavior.

My love bird who is almost 2 years old and I believed was a girl, and have found out recently on my own that he is a boy. My love bird has made "nice" with his bell. lol. He is always mating with his bell now and I am not sure what to do about it. I am considering taking away the bell in hopes that he will stop. Any suggestion on what to do with my frisky little bird! Anything right now will be great to stop the tapping of the bell!

LauraO
09-24-2006, 02:27 PM
This is a very normal behavior for lovebirds and while males do it more frequently, there are also a number of females who do it as well. The only thing I would worry about is if your lovie can hurt himself while doing this to his bell as most lovies hump soft toys, perches, etc. If there's no danger I would leave the bell in there and just make sure it is cleaned regularly.

Kumashe
09-24-2006, 03:19 PM

Janie
09-24-2006, 05:21 PM
I agree and would not remove the object of his affection unless it's dangerous. Fortunately, both of my younger boys have chosen a birdie buddy (hump buddy you could say ;)) as their "special" friend. At the last bird fair I bought 4 new ones for back ups! :lol

wilkiecoco
09-24-2006, 07:23 PM
i haven't posted in a while, but when I saw this thread, well, let's just say, I feel so used:whistle: Kiwi has decided that my finger is his "special friend" and would do this activity all day if I let him. He is almost 2 now, and just started this a few weeks ago. He used to do his "work" on a kleenex, but definitely gets more action on me :omg: I tried to discourage it, but he looks so sad, that I eventually give in. Is there anything I wouldn't do for my baby? :blush:

Question - is this going to continue forever :eek:

Question # 2 Please tell me that I am not the only one who has a lovie doing the swishy swish with their finger >o

Kumashe
09-25-2006, 01:37 AM

Janie
09-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Question - is this going to continue forever :eek:

Question # 2 Please tell me that I am not the only one who has a lovie doing the swishy swish with their finger >o

I can't answer the first question. I'm wondering the same thing! :D

I can answer #2.....Jackie (Butterfly) has Molly and Molly turned out to be a male.....Molly's spot is on Jackie but so far, Molly is still OK with a kleenex over Jackie's fingers! :D

wilkiecoco
09-25-2006, 10:01 AM
that's what kiwi does - he holds the kleenex with one toe and goes at it! sure feels good to know he's not the only one! :lol

butterfly1061
09-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Yep, Molly gets his fill about everyday on a kleenex or papertowel wrapped around my fingers/hand. This is how I look at it - it's part of their nature and I can't see saying no to my sweetie when it comes natural to them. It doesn't bother me in the least. My Piper tries to do this, but he hasn't gotten the hang of it so he uses his birdy-buddy. My other two are females and they hate the boys :rolleyes: Good - no babies! :2cents:

justme_123
09-25-2006, 10:29 AM
I am so happy that its not just my bird. I think I am going to get him a stuffed toy or something, because I don't feel comfortable with him using the bell which has wood pieces and plastic pieces on it incase he does hurt himself. He has been doing this for about 5 months now, and now its beginning to be a ALL the time thing. :roll:

wilkiecoco
09-25-2006, 10:51 AM
i feel the same way - it really doesn't bother me at all, but my husband and two sons think it is too "icky" for words. it does make for interesting conversation around my house. :lol