PDA

View Full Version : DNA testing

Jessica
10-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Celeste came home with us about a month and a half ago. At the time we didn't DNA test her because we didn't want to draw blood or pull feathers. I thought it a little cruel and the breeder seemed sure she was a girl. She felt the hips to tell us and I have since read this is very unreliable. Celeste is an incredibly sweet bird who is now getting really comfortable with us and is a joy. Her sex doesn't matter but I find myself growing more curious as I think I might like to get her a mate one day. She's only about six months old so I'm not sure if she would start any behavior mostly done by one sex yet. I'm not sure I would know them if I saw them either, other than strip of paper in the tail. I'd also like to know what all of you think about whether I should test her or not. Thanks in advance for any comments:)

Susan27
10-05-2006, 05:26 AM
I started out with one lovie, Kiko, whose sex I didn't know. We just called her a girl. I thought maybe I should get her a friend, the lady I got Touki from said she was pretty positive Touki he was a boy. They both ended up girls. They both layed eggs, and Kiko has been nasty nesty ever since I introduced the new bird. This has been over 2 months now.

Kiko was very sweet and nice for her first year, once I introduced Touki she didn't want anything to do with me.

This is just my experiance, others here are much more knowledgable about behaviour and suggestions for additional lovie friends.

Good luck.

Janie
10-05-2006, 07:20 AM
I think as long as you have a single lovie, it doesn't really matter about what sex "it" is unless you just really want to know. Both sexes can display male and female behavior sometimes so that is not a definite answer either unless eggs are laid and then you know you have a female but some females don't lay the first egg till they are over two years old. Six months is still very young for either sex to display behavior because of gender. If you do decide to add a second lovebird, then I would recommend DNA testing. Not necessarily because you want to breed but because it will be easier to figure out how two might get along. Males usually get along with other males better than two females do but not always. Some females do get along caged together. Sexing is a personal choice but when adding a second bird, it is easier to prepare if you know what sex you have and what sex you're getting. I did have my breeder DNA the last two I got because I did not want to breed and did want males.

Christine9
10-05-2006, 09:27 AM
As far as the actual test that needs to be done in order to DNA them, the test I have done requires a small blood sample from their nail. I'll be honest, I can't do it myself, but I have someone else do it, and it doesn't seem to phase them at all, aside from them not liking to be towelled in order to do it. But it only takes less than a minute, and they are not in any pain afterwards.

Of course, it is your decision whether you want to or not. I, personally, have to know the sex of my bird. Having males is one thing, but having females means that I have to always make sure that they never become egg bound. Even females that are kept by themselves can lay eggs, and hense, are at risk of becoming egg bound.

When it comes to tucking strips of paper in their rumps, both males and females do it. Two of my males, and one of my females do it all the time. So I don't think that is a good indicator as far as what gender he or she is.

Janie
10-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Christine, I agree.....if I had a female, I would definitely want to know that ahead of time, like before eggs. I've read enough about egg binding to scare the heck out of me. Probably the main reason I wanted males.

Lindades264
10-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi Jessica, if your bird were ever to become ill, it would be helpful for the vet if the sex was known. I had my 4 DNA tested recently. It turned out they were just as I suspected, but I wanted to know anyway. As for the pelvic test. I tried this also, and it was not accurate. I could tell more by their behavior, stance etc. Let us know what you decide.

Jessica
10-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Thank you all for your opinions. As I get to know Celeste I am getting the gut feeling she is a he. Of course this could mean nothing but I am getting curious. We have a very large flock of soft bills so any new bird will wait until she is mature just in case she chooses to breed. This will also give us more time to continue to tame her. I can understand the concern about egg binding because I have two pigeon girls who lay eggs monthly. I always worry a little each month when it comes to laying time and watch closely. I think I will get a DNA test and do it because it will help me with health and behavior. Most of my birds were "wild" and rarely breed in captivity. They also have little differences between the sexes so we have guessed well so far. Hook bills are very new to me and I am in love. Getting Celeste a mate is problably the only way I can get my husband to let me have a new bird in the future:rofl: .

I would like to thank all of you for your advice. This board is wonderful and the people are so friendly. I really appreciate being able to learn from reading lots of posts and being able to ask questions when I need to. It really takes a lot of the worry out of whether or not she is getting what she needs. Thank you everyone for providing such a wonderful place for new lovebird owners!