PDA

View Full Version : Why it is always good to have a helper when comes to birds

Mummieeva
10-17-2006, 02:12 AM
Today is a day that I thank the stars that my daughter Eva can handle Whisper well. Because Monday smart me walked out my front door to go to a neighbors and managed to sprain my ankle. I am OK just a slight sprain as the doctor put it(never knew could be degrees of sprains). So I am thankful my daughter can help with changing Whispers food and water cause standing to do it is very painful right now. Since I have the lovely bed in there though I can still play with Whisper though.:) I could not imagine My poor husband having to try and feed Whisper. She does not care for him at all..lol.

Steph

RicosPoppy
10-17-2006, 08:04 AM
Very True.

I think of this quite a bit.

While my wife and son are both quite capable, I think Rico believes he is Second in Command of the household and he doesn't hesitate to bully them when he can. I'm the only one who can stick my hand in the cage, pick him up or pet him without worrying about a bite. It's sometimes quite funny when Rico will fly into the cubbard when my wife is getting a glass or something and she will have to come get me to remove him because he is defending the cubbard and she won't dare reach in to get him out.

I think my wife could do the job but it would take some time and patience for both of them.

Buy A Paper Doll
10-17-2006, 12:33 PM
So very true. My niece has been Milo's "birdysitter" since he was 8 weeks old so I know she is comfortable with him and vice versa. Melody is not as cooperative but usually she is content to follow Milo around. If she sees Milo go in his cage first, Mel will go in hers without a fight.

My other niece is terrified of my birds because "they bite" - this is the vet tech who came home from work with her arms covered in bruises and puncture wounds thanks to a grumpy rottweiler ... and she's afraid of my two ounce birds. :confused:

Steph, I do hope you're feeling better. There are definitely varying degrees of "sprain" but you will want to be careful with it just the same because a mild sprain can turn into a severe sprain or even a torn ligament if you are not gentle. So lie back on the bird room bed, relax, and have a nice long visit with Whisper. You deserve it. :)

Christine9
10-17-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm so sorry about your ankle; hope it feels better soon.

I know what you mean about having a helper. My son, who is almost 10, is such a great helper. He's still learning all the time, but it's so great to have him to birdie-sit while I am cleaning their cages. It's also nice to know that years from now, if anything were to happen to me, that I can count on him to take care of them. He definitely has a way with birds, too. He is such a natural with them. Hmm...maybe I should remember this stuff the next time he asks for raise in his allowance. ;)

Eliza
10-17-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm sorry about your ankle, Steph! Take it easy and keep us posted on your progress, OK?

-e-

Mummieeva
10-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Christine, lol my Daughter got a bonus allowance for doing this. She gets to play video games during week(normaly only allowed on weekends). Whisper thinks my bandage is for her to shread so I have to keep sock on it.

Steph

Lindades264
10-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Hi, I am sorry about your ankle also. I am glad that you posted this because it really is important to have support. I do not think I could have my 4 lovebirds if my daughter did not help so much. I have meetings in the evening occassionally and she is always willing to tidy the cages and put the birds to bed at 8 pm. Sometimes it is just too much work to bring them with me when we go to our cabin for the weekend. If she is not working she takes care of the birds, it gives me a nice break away. I am really greatful that she helps so much.

DebSpace
10-18-2006, 03:28 PM
My husband and son speak nicely to them, but the birds never really warmed up to my guys. Although they probably won't admit it, I think they are afraid of being bitten (the guys, not the birds - he he!). I mean, yeah, bites aren't a fun experience, but there are ways to avoid it. Since we never know when an emergency might happen, I have a pair of soft leather gloves for them to use and I taught them the proper way to hold the birds in case it were ever necessary (I have broken one foot once, and the other foot twice...poetry in motion, aye?).

This cracks me up - sort of like a claustrophobic plumber::lol
[QUOTE=Buy A Paper Doll;54000]
My other niece is terrified of my birds because "they bite" - this is the vet tech who came home from work with her arms covered in bruises and puncture wounds thanks to a grumpy rottweiler ... and she's afraid of my two ounce birds. :confused:

Wow, I'd go for the bird any day! My firefighter husband cuts people out of cars, has exposure to all sorts of scary diseases, and walks through flames, but he hates holding the bird when I need to clip wings!:rofl: