PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, suggestions, stories..

Susan27
10-20-2006, 09:34 PM
I am a lovebird-a-holic. I don't want to end up being that person who gets lots of lovies then decides that it's too much and has to rehome. I love my babies so much, even my nasty nesty hens...I can't see myself being a rehomer.

My limit started at 6 lovebirds...I am at 6 and am getting an older male lovie to hopefully have ONE breeding pair. Well..that's all great and good, but knowing me, my emotional self, I won't be able to give up any babies produced. I do have some friends who would make great lovie parents and a few stores to sell from...but....:whistle: The thought of sick babies, or worse dying babies is so heartbreaking as well....

So, I will be up to 7...but I still really want an Orange face in my flock...so that's 8....

I don't want any other type of bird. I will not be getting any larger parrots. I like to look at everyone's pictures and see them in the store...but lovies are for me.

Time and money aren't a problem for me right now....time is pretty consistent...money, well is money ever that consistent?

Please share opinions of my behavior and stories of people who get lots of lovies than have to rehome them. I need some perspective.

Christine9
10-20-2006, 10:10 PM
"My name is Christine and I am a lovebird-aholic."

Ok, now that I, too, have admitted my problem, lol, I don't exactly know of anyone that has rehomed lots of lovies (except for, I think, MaraJade who used to be on this forum, but I don't know her personally), but I do know one person who rehomed both of hers. She's actually the person that I got my Razzle from, and I still keep in touch with her to this day. I believe she just came to realize that lovies just aren't for her. I'm sure you know how energetic and high maintenanced lovies are, and I can tell you the difference between them and other smaller birds, like tiels, budgies, and p'lets, for example, is incredible. I take my lovies and my other birds out separately, and let me tell you, when I put the lovies back, and have my other ones out, it's like the calm after the storm! But I still love and appreciate my lovies antics like only a true bird mom (or bird dad) can.

Anyway, I know for a fact that Razzle's previous owner was just doing what was best for her lovies. I don't at all think any less of her, if anything I respect her more for doing what she thought was best (because I know for a fact it was hard for her). I actually regret not offering to take her other lovie, Gusto, as well; she didn't decide to rehome him until months after Razzle, and at the time I just wasn't ready for another bird.

While I would never think less of someone who rehomed any, or all, of their birds, I know I could never do so. Though I have to admit, if I had to do it all over again, I would of made sure to NOT get any hens. Don't get me wrong, I love my gals, but one of them- Windy- lets just say some days I don't know how much more I can handle with her. But I just can't give her up, because as difficult as she gets, I feel strongly about my commitment to her. It's just my personal opinion, but I treat my birds like they are my children, and I just can't give them up even if they aren't exactly what I expected them to be. (I may need reminding of this when my son becomes a teenager, though! :lol )

And I know what you mean about not being able to give up the babies, or having to watch any babies die. These are the exact reasons that stop me from breeding any of mine, though I might feel differently someday, who knows.

Well, I guess that's my :2cents: on the subject. ;)

Janie
10-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Gosh, this is a hard one! :) Personally, no way I'd breed and I think I'm at my limit....three! But, having said that, I have one that needs a buddy. He and his brother were "supposed" to be bonded buddies but it turns out his brother likes my older lovie best so poor little Big Boi is the odd man out. He has the pin feathers that need preening as proof of that. If someone could guarantee me that I could get one more male as a buddy for him, I'd do it in a heart beat but with my luck, a new bird would also prefer my older lovie! :D

So, I have three males and not by accident. I am positive that I'd want to keep any and all off-spring and would end up with a zillion birds if I started breeding. I can't think of a single person (other than some members here) who I would place chicks with. But it really is a personal choice and everyone's limit is different.

Buy A Paper Doll
10-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Please share opinions of my behavior and stories of people who get lots of lovies than have to rehome them. I need some perspective.

This is an excellent topic to bring up, Susan, and I want to thank you for being concerned. I've seen people start with one little bird, and then end up with a dozen, and then they get rid of all of them and they stop posting here. I've also seen people start with one little bird, end up with a dozen or more, and do very well with them.

I can't tell you from personal experience what it's like to have to rehome lovies because I have just two and I do not breed them. Why not breed? Well, lots of reasons, but the answer that applies specifically to your question is, what on earth would I do with all of those babies? I do not know of anyone in my immediate area who would provide a good home for baby birds; I will not sell them to a pet store. I cannot keep them here. So breeding is out of the question for me. If you find yourself in a similar position then I would ask you to seriously reconsider whether breeding is the right decision.

As far as time is concerned, I can tell you from personal experience is that circumstances change and you can go from having lots of time to no time at all in the blink of an eye. Between my husband working out of the country for the past month (and no idea when he's coming home) and my mother becoming very ill, her dog moving in with me, my workload doubling at work, and a charity project taking up 15 hours a week of my time right now, in a matter of weeks I went from "everything's fine" to "oh my God I can't do this."

As far as money is concerned, yes, money does become an issue when a bird becomes sick. My Melody is healthy as can be, thank God. But my sweet, sweet Milo has had close to $1,000 in vet bills in the 2 years I've had him. That's just how things turned out for me. I have one bird that's healthy and one that's not. If I had multiple birds and one (or more) was sick, I don't know if I would be able to budget for it.

Anyway those are my opinions, suggestions, and stories. I hope they help.

Elle
10-21-2006, 09:49 AM
I have reached my limit at one lovebird. Then there was Phoebe who needed to be rescued. Then the limit increased again when Dan found the budgies. Then we said one more when we met Max. We were tested again this week when a lady at work told me she needs to find a home for a 20 year old conure and a budgie who's owner passed away from cancer. I've always wanted a conure. So Dan and I did what we do best. We found a new home for the conure. But not with us. We've rehomed two lovebirds who were in need of a good home a few months ago.
The HRM police have our phone number because the SPCA doesn't take birds around here and there are no bird shelter in Halifax that we are aware of. We have a risk of increasing our flock again but temporarily only until we can find a new good home. I know deep in my heart that it would not be fair for my flock and for the queen, Ms Danny Cat if we were to add a new member for good.

All I'm saying is be careful. Birds are addictive. And there are so many out there that already need to find a good home. I leave the breeding to responsible breeders. Not my flock :)

Regards,

Mummieeva
10-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Honestly I am addicted to them for sure. But I am lucky i have a husband who grounds me from buying them.lol. I think for me 4 would be most I would have. With human kids it would be unfair to have to many as I want to give them all attention they need and deserve. I prefer to adopt mine and have lucked out and not found any(did fine a sun conure for free but fought temptation). Re-homing is a hard choice that's why will try and never get more then i can handle.

Steph

cassysmiley
10-22-2006, 05:37 AM
My Story.

I had a 6ft indoor avairy with lovies in as well as other birds + 1 cage for the pair of fischers lovies i had.
I had no choice but to let my birds go, my home was knocked down. I moved into a bigger property due health getting worse and needed a 2 bed place. Was hoping to stay there for life. My lovies bred, had 5 chicks al in all. The came the devasting news, Homes being knocked down. we fought a hard campaign to stop it. But no use. So i had to let my birds go, but let them go to a rescue centre, where they dont sell the birds on and its governed by the
R.S..P.C.A. I then moved into here, had fish, but as my health was slowly deterioting tanks had to go.
You see anything can happen, i was not expecting to loose home, health to get worse etc. I now got a pair of Black masked lovies, but thats it. I got my parrot and my 3 cats to. If the pair of lovies should breed, i know i can re-home them safely. I will try to stop her from breeding when the time comes.

But be careful, anything can happen, from out of the blue and you may have to for some reason re-home your lovies. I tried all ways to keep my avairy, but there was just no room here for it, couldnt have 1 outside to many cats.
Always Err on the side of caution, My take on this is,, you never know what around the corner. If you got family that can help thats a help to, but i havent so i got to be careful of anything that can and almost certainly crop up. I guess here in U.K. Vets fees are not as expensive as in the States, but still can cost me quite a bit if one of the cats be ill.
Just tread carefully and enjoy what lovies you got. Its so easy to see lovies and fall in love with them and what to bring them home. Most of the lovies i did have were rescued. Also when they went i was heart broken and my parrot pined after them. he`s know picked up since i got Sage and Honey.
Thats my story.

ottermom
10-23-2006, 04:42 AM
My two were rehomed to me by their previous owner. She decided that lovies weren't right for her pretty quickly after getting them. Two may be my limit as the thought of introducing more birds to the two I have terrifies me. Though this might change as I get more experienced. It's not that I don't want more, it's just that I want to make sure I can handle what I take on so I don't have to be a rehomer. ALso, it's such a long committment. They can live a long time and who knows what'll be going on in my life in 10 or more years, let alone 20. That's incidentally the reason I don't think I will ever buy a baby from a breeder - I'd rather rescue an older bird.

Kathryn
10-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Oh my, where to begin.
Ok, I too am an animal/bird-o-holic.
(I don't think the chickens, Tom turkey, and 75 cattle are included in that addiction)

As a young teen, I owned and loved a white parakeet named Fluff. He was the birdie that started the niche in my heart for feathered companions. When he passed, I did not buy another parakeet because I didn't think another bird could replace him. For years, I passed by birds in shops without purchasing any, because of that belief.

Instead I transferred my "need" to raising registered Chihuahuas. For twenty years, a Chihuahua had been a part of our family and home. At one point we had 19 adults and puppies. When we moved to the country 9 years ago, we brought the last 3 with us. One died of cancer, one was hit by a car when she was 16 years old. The last one had to be put to sleep when he was 17 years old due to failing health complications. I wasn't going to get any more dogs (yeah, right).
We still have Mauvis, 18, and Murdock (4) the two cats. Dogs have adopted us over the past 9 years. And now we have big dogs. We have an Australian shepard named Gracie (3). We recently acquired a white German Sheperd named "Shep" (2) that appeared on our ranch Oct. 1, when we left for a trip. He guarded the place until we returned. We tried to rehome him, but got no takers. He has been a handful to train by the way. (:2cents: It burns me up when people dump a dog in the country that they no longer can handle. Most often farmers or ranchers will shoot a stray because the dogs don't know how to live around livestock.) Shep stole a place in my heart and I've been spending a great deal of time reconditioning him to manners....but I regress.

My sister raised parakeets for several years and I resisted the temptation of taking another bird because of my job, ranch commitments and family. The two hour a day commute to work cut into my schedule and ability to care for another pet.
When I retired two years ago with job related injuries ( I was a school administrator, but that's another story), I was overwhelmed with the amount of free time I had. As I shopped for things for the dogs/cats, I would visit a pet shop and admire the birds.

Then I saw Mollie, a lovely Dutch Blue!! For weeks, I would stop by to see her and her siblings. Here was a pet I could care for easily. So I brought her home and we bonded. Six months later, Midget, a Normal Green, joined our little flock and he too became a velcro lovie. I've read every book I could find on Lovebirds, researched the internet and found this site. Instead of squelching my addiction, seeing the diversity in lovebirds, my interest has grown.

Mollie and Midget, of course had babies the following Thanksgiving and this past February. With these new babies including a Lutino, the science of genetics has peaked my enthusiasm. So the purchase of new mutations for my flock developed as a desire to find mates for my offspring. Now we are up to 15 birds (including a rehome from my niece's daughter)

The injuries from work required several surgeries over the past two years and the time I have spent with my lovies and this site have been the motivation I have needed to fill those many free hours. (I haven't been able to help much with the cattle and the goings on here on the ranch due to an inoperable neck injury.)

My hubby has been patient and supportive, but also a grounder. He thinks I'm crazy to enjoy the feathers, seed fights, cleaning of cages and chatter of these tiny beings, but I counter with "cow piles are a lot bigger! Cows eat more and can hurt you in a heartbeat." He has his tractors and I have my lovies....

Would I give up any of my lovies...No. Will I find loving homes for their offspring...Yes. Will I continue to spend the money necessary for their health and well-being...Unquestionably. Will I be doing this in 10-20 years...definitely. Will I make any money at this...I doubt it!

The interaction with my fids brings a sense of calm and enjoyment that will carry me happily into my senior years.:D

Eliza
10-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Susan,

I can understand where you are coming from. Within days of bringing home Beetle I wanted MORE lovies... Beetle came from a really great local breeder and it's been VERY HARD to resist bringing home a baby each time she updates her site. I can't believe that I've held off this long! I don't have an interest in breeding so for me, it's really a matter of do I have the time, finances and space (I live in an apt. above a funeral home so I have to be cautious about noise) to buy or adopt another bird.

I think what has kept me from bringing home another parrot at this time is that I'm not 100% sure if I want to have more lovies... and if I want more lovies, do I want to get more peachies, masked, Fischers, etc. Do I want to bring home a poicephalus parrot, as I've always liked Senegals... or do I want to investigate other small parrots, like the lineolated parakeet or a Goldie's Lorikeet? And what about all the lovely finches? Maybe it would be nice to provide Beetle with another living creature to look at and listen to?

As for breeding? If at all possible, I'd refrain from doing so but I can totally understand why you might be interested. I've cared for orphaned and injured wildlife and there is nothing quite like caring for a wee baby bird... That said, if you think that breeding is something you want to undertake, I know that there are wonderful folks on this site who would be able to provide you with the resources you need. In addition you might want to look for a breeder in your area to mentor you.

My only comment to your chosen lovie-a-holic lifestyle is that you should be sure that you can not only physically care for the birds (feeding, cleaning and most importanly, socializing) and financially care for them... but to be sure that you can mentally handle the challenges of multi-pet ownership. If you have doubts, there's no harm in pulling back and sticking with the flock that you have for now. You're not going to get in trouble for having too few lovies (or whatever you fancy). It's when you become overwhelmed (which you've indicated isn't a problem for you now) that you might cause yourself undue worry.

I wish you and your brood the best...

-e-

Susan27
10-24-2006, 10:49 PM
After reading all the responses and doing some hard thinking, I think I will enjoy my flock, which by the end of the month will be a total of 8 peachfaced lovebirds. At this point I am leaning towards no breeding, at least I won't actively encourage it.
My limit started out at 6...it will be 8...I feel my flock is full. I did get my orange faced lovebird...pictures to come later. I also have an older male coming my way.

For me, I did add many birds in a short time. (one was a surprise from my roomie...but I love my Mr. Peepers). I wanted to have everyone establish their place in the flock before I returned to work. As of my doctors appointment today, that seems like quite a while in the future...I thought months...but it appears it will be more like years:x I don't foresee my health problems effecting my bird ownership, but hey...you never know. My doctors actually believe my pets help to heal physically and mentally....guess they haven't heard a flock of lovies squawking for attention...:rofl:

Thanks for all your posts. I know I will get honest answers from my fellow lovies owners here.;)

Eliza
10-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Yay for orange-faces! Can't wait to see pics...

I hope that your health continues to improve :)

-e-

Christine9
10-26-2006, 06:53 PM
My doctors actually believe my pets help to heal physically and mentally.

I definitely agree with this. While you are right, sometimes their squawking can cause stress, I find the majority of the time my birds are such a stress reliever. I wish you a full recovery, though, whether it be months or years. :)

Congratulations on the orangefaced! I can't wait to see pics. My "dream lovie" happens to be an orangefaced australian cinnamon (male, of course ;) ), and I actually had the chance to get one last week, but I had to pass. I have my hands full trying to integrate my new guy (Coconut) safely into my flock, and I would definitely feel overwelmed with two new birds right now. Hopefully another one will come my way in a couple years, when I am ready.

Susan27
10-26-2006, 07:45 PM
I don't know if my approach is the best. Integrating so many new birds in a short period of time. So far everything is going pretty good. Everyone has paired up, or were paired when I got them. They all pretty much stay in their pairs when out together...some beak fighting which I break up after about 15 seconds. They get along wonderful during popcorn parties...heehee. New lovie is segregated and will meet the flock in about 30 days.

I believe new lovie to be an orange face...it definitly looks orange to me...but of course, I will post pictures and find out I don't have an orange face after all. :whistle:

Pictures will come soon...I promise.

Christine9
10-27-2006, 01:37 PM
I don't know if my approach is the best. Integrating so many new birds in a short period of time.

Actually, it's probably easier. In your case, they are all pretty much new, so they don't already have the "this is my turf" attitude. It's harder to introduce a single bird into an established flock, at least that is my experience so far. Right now, I pretty much dealing with my four vs. the "new guy". Razzle's been nice (and I'm thinking this is because he is the oldest and most mature), but the others have been very bossy, because they see everything as "their turf". I think it is going to take them awile to accept him.

DebSpace
10-27-2006, 11:05 PM
So many birds, so little time. I have warned my husband, though, that should I ever win the lottery, I'm retiring from the day job. moving to the country and adding lots of birdies. :p I think he said something like, "okay by me, so long as you build them a separate house." :rofl:

Seriously, there are so many beautiful ones I don't know how I would choose. And baby birds are darling, but in my experience with rescues, handfeeding just one requires a huge amount of time and committment. I'm such a worrier that if I had baby lovies, I'd have to do homestudies before I could let them leave with someone else. :rolleyes: That is just me, though. I have to continually tell myself not to bite off more than I can chew. They are so pretty and cute, that I could be swept away in a moment without due consideration of expenses and time involved to provide them with the best care. Sounds like you have made the right choice for yourself at this time.

Janie
10-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I think refraining from getting more lovebirds is a hard thing because there are so many colors in the peachies and those masked and fischers just knock my socks off and......they are all so tiny! :D Very few people would get one dog and then think they need another one in a few weeks or months but we all know that lovies are different. I've had the hardest time trying to explain that to my hubby. :lol He is horrified that I'm going to go over-board and end up with four or six and we all know that four or six is not too many when you're talking about lovebirds. Dogs or cats, maybe but lovies? No way! :D As long as you have the time, space and $ needed for care, why not? I refrain only because my flock of three gets along so well and I hesitate to shake-up a good situation with one more. But.....I sure would love to have one more, or TEN more! :whistle:

BarbieH
10-28-2006, 02:20 PM
What a wonderful thread! It's so terrific to read a discussion on such a personal issue, that is handled so candidly.

I think Cassy's story touched me the most. (Thanks Cassy! :)) I also have an illness that could progress unexpectedly, and who knows what would happen? I could have to stop working, or not be able to care for my pets. The more you have, the more you risk losing ... not to mention potential vet bills vs. doctor bills and living expenses. It's not always easy to find your balance point between fear and love. The greater the risk of loss, the more caution is needed.

We are at a current limit with eight. We bred one generation to keep blood lines going, for now. All living offspring so far have been males. All eggs are being boiled to prevent them from developing.

All of our critters get our full love and attention. The love always grows; the more you give, the more you create. :) But I would hate to have to put their happiness and health at risk because I didn't control their numbers.

That's my :2cents: .