PDA

View Full Version : Now this behavior I just don't get

Christine9
10-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Out of all of my birds, I only have two females, who are both lovies. Hunny is two years old, and Windy turned one in August. I never knew anything about the mating behaviors of female birds until Windy reached maturity and did the lifting tail up and flapping wings dance while doing her little chirping at the same time. Though she never mated with either of my males, she did go on to lay a small clutch right before she turned one.

Anyway, Hunny has never really showed any signs of wanting to mate, other than she just loves to snuggle up with my males. No mating dance, and she's never layed any eggs, but she doesn't get along AT ALL with Windy, so I always thought that this was my one sure sign that her DNA test was not screwed up, and she is really a she.

Well, today the weirdest things happened. Hunny and Windy were near each other, having quite the conversation. No fighting like usual, just chatting back and forth. They suddenly Windy started doing her mating dance for Hunny! I'm so confused now, and wondering if there really could be a possibility that Hunny is really a he? Or is Windy just getting so desperate because my boys don't pay attention to her, that she wants to mate with anyone, even another female?

bellarains
10-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Christine,

It is my understanding that if a DNA test says you have a hen, it's a hen. A test result saying male can be wrong, but a hen result is a hen. I guess whomever did the test could have given you wrong test results though?

We do however have a few female/female bonded pairs here, so it wouldn't be unheard of for Windy and Hunny to pair up.

Christine9
10-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks Lori. I guess I am just going to assume that Windy is just getting desperate to pair up with a bird, that she is nowing turning to Hunny. It's too bad, too, because her wanting the companionship of another lovie so badly is the exact reason why I got Coconut. So far she the only lovie that seems to accept him is Razzle, though Hunny is starting to a little. I swear if she tries and steals this male too (in which case she'll have THREE boyfriends) I don't know what I'll do. :rofl: Oh well, I'll just give it time and hope for the best. Thanks again.