PDA

View Full Version : Are your birds in your will?

ottermom
10-23-2006, 04:45 AM
My husband and I recently went on vacation to the UK (had a great time). Right before we went there was a bit of terrorist trouble with some airlines, so we thought it would be best to write out our wills before our trip. We wanted to make a living trust so that our animals' caretakers would have funds to take care of our babies forever. The lawyer thought we were nuts! Has anyone else had any similar experience?

butterfly1061
10-23-2006, 08:28 AM
You are NOT nuts. Several of us have talked about this before and some have made arrangements just in case. I my case, I don't have anyone (family or non-bird friends) who I would trust to take care of my birds after I'm gone. In my brothers case, he has a Blue & Gold Macaw who will most likely out live him. This is a good topic to bring back every so often to remind us of these issues. I think you & your husband have made a good choice so your birds won't be passed around of given to a shelter. :)

ottermom
10-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Actually we don't have any family or friends both willing and able to take care of the birds properly, so I had asked that they be taken by a sanctuary (not a shelter). It was the best thing I could think to do.

butterfly1061
10-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Actually we don't have any family or friends both willing and able to take care of the birds properly, so I had asked that they be taken by a sanctuary (not a shelter). It was the best thing I could think to do.

A sanctuary sounds good too. That's what my brother is going to do for his B&G.

Janie
10-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Yes, my birds are in my will.......WILL you take my birds, Jackie? WILL you take my birds, Lori? :D I'm with Jackie, I don't have a single non bird friend who I'd want to take my birds. My older bird, Oliver, is a family bird and would be well cared for by my hubby and sons but the other two would need to go to a "Jackie" or a "Lori"......:whistle:

butterfly1061
10-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Awwww Janie, you know I'd take those cute little featherbutts of yours :D

Mummieeva
10-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Yes, when Whisper hatched she became part of my will. I am weird and have written will every year since i was 16. Depending on how old my daughter is depends on what happens. If she is over 16 Whisper(and any other birds I have) go to her. If heaven forbid she is not 16 yet my husband(or whoever has Eva) has to care for them til then. She is only person I would trust to keep them in family.

Steph

bellarains
10-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Well,

I won't say they are in my will, but my family does have a list of people to take my fids. I won't put those names out there, but you know who you are;)

I would say he would keep them, but hey, I want them cared for in the same manner I do, so they will be passed on to whom I've chosen, and he's well aware of that, and even though his feelings were hurt a bit, he knows he wouldn't care for them properly, so he does agree.

BTW Jackie, I get Piper, and of course Molly comes with him:happy:

Janie, Those little blue butts, and that sweet Ollie have a place in my home anytime. I might have to fight Howard for Oliver though:)

Eliza
10-23-2006, 02:55 PM
At this point, no... I don't have a will yet.

-e-