PDA

View Full Version : Taking from cage

James Murphy
10-25-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm a new owner, living with my first lovebird, Nelson. I'm aware of the importance of handling every day and have established a semi-friendship with my bird in which he'll react properly (most of the time) to the step-up command and will sit calmly on my shoulder. But he won't volunteer to be handled by coming out of his cage. Since I've assumed lovebirds are territorial I've tried to refrain from sticking my hand in his cage and going in to get him in order to play and cuddle. But if I don't, he won't come out to become used to being handled. My question is should I force it by reaching into the cage to take him out, and if not, what is the best way to entice him out? What's the right approach?

ottermom
10-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Congratulations! How old is Nelson?

butterfly1061
10-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Hi James and welcome to the board!

Since your lovebird is new to you & his surroundings, just leave the cage door open and let him come out on his own. It may take some time for him to get comfortable to come out on his own, but you do not want to grab or force him out. Try offering some millet just outside the cage to entice him. With birds, you have to earn their trust and if you break that trust you have to work at it to get it back - they don't forget. Right now, just work with him under his terms until he becomes comfortable & trusing. :)

Christine9
10-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Does he bite you if you physically pick him up (when he's in the cage)? If he doesn't, imo, I would just go ahead and take him out of his cage. I've done this with three of my lovies, all of which did not know how to step-up when I got them, but were also all tame enough that they wouldn't bite when physically picked up. Of course, don't do it if you have to physically chase him around the cage, though.

But since your lovie does already step-up that's a plus. The more and more you spend time with him, the more bonded he'll become to you, and the more he'll look forward to coming out. Just keep working on step-ups out of the cage, and soon he'll be stepping up from in the cage as well.

Good luck with Nelson (I love the name, btw).

ottermom
10-25-2006, 09:29 AM
Can you use a seed to entice him out? Or some millet? My guys will do anything for millet!

Something I forgot to mention - you don't say how long you've had Nelson. It's important to work up to handling everyday. You start out really slowly by just being near the cage for a few days, then maybe feeding a favorite treat through the bars of the cage for a while, then opening the cage door and feeding a treat...you get the idea. If you go slow and build trust you'll be amazed how strong the bond can be.

bellarains
10-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi James,

Since Nelson does know step up fairly well, offer your hand first, if he turns it down, try using an extra perch to get him to step up to when getting him out. You are correct in saying that lovies can be territorial of their cage. That is their safe spot, and if at all possible, you don't want to make them any more aggressive over their cage.

It sounds like you and Nelson are doing very well for the short time that you've had him. Just keep up the interaction, make contact calls with him(when he cheeps, you cheep back), and always praise him highly, and offer a little treat after each session out. Lovies do understand positive reaction, but not really negative, although, sometimes a cage timeout is best for both parties;)

sdgilley
10-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Hi & Welcome!

Your lovie may take some time to be comfortable enough to come out to you. It's important to be patient and give him time to trust you.

When I got my first lovie, Peter, I would just grab him out so he could get used to me. Well, he learned to bite me really hard and would draw blood. I learned quickly to stop doing that! :eek: I also got some good advice here.

You might try taking him into a safe room. Cover windows and mirrors if he can fly. Open the door of his cage and just spend some time talking to him quietly. If he comes out and won't cooperate in returning to his cage, you have him confined in that room, making it safer to get him back. Offer him treats (like millet) from your hands. If he's afraid of hands, tie some to a dowel and see if you can get him to step on the dowel.

Good luck!

James Murphy
10-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the interest and helpful responses. I've had Nelson about a month, bringing him home when he was 8 weeks old. I've been trying to tempt him to come out by placing dried apricots or peanuts where he can reach them just outside the open door of his cage. He'll occasionally come out to snatch some, but if I move toward him he'll scurry back inside. Will he eventually get where he'll stay out?
Thanks again,
James

butterfly1061
10-25-2006, 01:58 PM
Will he eventually get where he'll stay out?Yes, once he is comfortable and learns to trust you. Suzanne's suggestion in a quiet room is a very good one. This way he will get use to you and learn you will not hurt him. Sometimes if you ignore him after you open the cage door (but keep an eye on him) he will come out and explore. All of this just takes time. The one word we use around here is PATIENCE :D

DebSpace
10-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Welcome to you and Nelson. A perch like one in the cage sometimes worked for me when my birds were new (sometimes not, though). I hold the perch close to the caged bird and use the step-up command.Now it's the opposit - most of the time I can barely get the door open before Nip belts out to play and she doesn't want to go back in! :rofl: Look forward to seeing pics of Nelson!

bird_luver24
10-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Welcome to you and Nelson!!
Sounds like the Board Members have given you some Very Helpful advice and I dont think I have anymore than what they have already said..lol..
To learn more about Lovebirds you can check out the Lovebird Resource Library-(on the main page) and look through some of the old posts we have here...both of these things have helped me learn Alot by themselves!! :)
Good Luck with Nelson and getting him to come out of the cage!
Like Jackie said a Very Much used Word around here with Lovebirds is PATIENCE!! :D