PDA

View Full Version : tips for traveling

Starz
10-31-2006, 08:11 PM
Well, my family and I will be leaving the island of Oahu in early December. Squeak, my lovey, is going with us along with our dog. There's no way to get around a plane trip and hotel stays so I was wondering if anyone has any tips for traveling with pets (before, during, and after the trip). I'm doing all the planning I can before moving day. Thanks in advance!

linda040899
10-31-2006, 08:27 PM
First of all, check with the airlines and see which ones have accomodations for live animals and which of those fly to your destination. Delta and Continental are both "pet" friendly so those would be my first choice for flying. For both dog and bird, use airline approved travel carriers. Depending on which airline, you may be able to take your lovebird with you into the cabin so you want a carrier for him/her that will fit under a seat. I usually use a "cage" within a carrier for birds, just in case I have to open the carrier to add extra food or an extra orange or apple slice. No food dishes or water dishes should be used in the carrier. Take them with you so you can use them if you have a layover or spend the night in a motel, but I don't put them in the carrier whenever that carrier is in something that's moving. Millet makes great food, as it's light and most birds love it.

Additionally, check different motels and find out what their pet policy is, as well. Some don't allow pets at all; others will charge extra but it's mostly for cats or dogs.

Start your planning early so that you can get what you want/need. If you wait, remember that there are a lot of other travelers out there, too! :)

Starz
11-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the tips, Linda.

Starz
11-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Just an update. We're leaving with all pets in tow on Dec 1. We are buying and modifying a cat crate for Squeak's trip. I'm going to drill a few small holes close to the bottom for perches. I don't know about other airlines, but United will not allow tropical birds in the cabins, so he'll have to go in the cargo area. I'm a little worried about that fact, but it's necessary to be able to take him. All in all, things seem to be falling into place. I just wish we were moved already, lol.

Cathy
11-11-2006, 07:41 PM
When I bought Melli, Jeanette-breeder, didn't put anything that could fly around and hurt her in the carrier. She lined the bottom with paper towel in case she fell off her little perch, put a spray of millet and some apple slices. Since you can't take water, make sure that you provide foods that will give your lovie the moiture that she needs.

The best of luck with your move. Let us know how it goes.