PDA

View Full Version : Whoever heard of a Lovebird that doesn't love?!

Tootsie's Mom
11-16-2006, 06:47 PM
my lovebird, Tootsie is the cutest little thing. I bought her at Petsmart the other day. She has everything a little bird could want, a big cage, a lot of food, toys, and a big playground on top! So why is she so mean to us?! :confused: We try to hand feed her to get her used to us, but she has no interest in humans. She's much rather just swing for a while. She IS a baby, and she id brand new, but she could definately be much more friendly!
If you have any advice on taming her, email me!:blush: :blush: :blush:
Please reply i really need help!

butterfly1061
11-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Gaby,

Your lovebird has been taken from a place she/he is use to and taken somewhere very unfamilar and scary. Her cage is her safe haven and she enjoys being in it. Let her get use to her new surroundings. This could take a week or two or three... For a while, just sit beside her cage and talk softly to her and maybe offer her some millet through the cage bars. The best advice for new lovebirds owners is PATIENCE! And lots of it. You have to earn a birds trust in this relationship. If you break it, you will have to start from scratch. Patience!! :D

Tootsie's Mom
11-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Janie
11-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Also....check out the Lovebird Resource Library and the Behavior section of the forum. You are expecting way too much, way too soon. If this bird had come from a breeder and been hand fed or even socialized, it would be a different situation altogether. Give you bird lost of patience as Jackie said and prepare to allow it several months to warm up to you and your family.

DebSpace
11-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Glad to have you with us as this is an excellent place for information ad support. :) Lovebirds are very intelligent and it can take many months before your bird trusts you completely, and even then it may not like fingers or hands. Try using a perch, never reach in the cage for your bird as that is their territory (except in case of emergency), and please follow this link, reading all that is there:

http://www.cottageworks.com/robinsnest/guide.htm

Petshop lovebirds are rarely tame to start with, and with few exceptions (particularly with the larger chain stores) the staff generally has little knowledge about what they are selling. I speak from my own personal experiences, but their lack of knowledge can often create expectations with new owners that are unrealistic. Just start slow, be gentle and be very regular and consistent. Once the first few weeks have passed, begin teaching your bird the step-up command. They totally don't get it the first few days you try it, but before you know it the behavior will click for them.

Jessica
11-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi! I'm new here too and Celeste was very afraid of us when we brought her home. We've made a lot of progress and have to agree patience is the key. Slowly we are earning Celeste's trust and each milestone is very sweet. I hope it's the same for you.

Eliza
11-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Howdy, neighbor! I grew up in Medford, which isn't far from Cherry Hill.

A friend of mine had a lovie named Tootsie as a child. I think that's an ADORABLE name for a lovebird.

Hand taming and training take lots and lots of patience, especially with a bird that came from a pet store. I know it's frustrating but it is well worth it in the end.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here, though -- everyone is VERY supportive and most helpful.

Best of luck with Tootsie... and keep us posted!

-e-

Kumashe
11-18-2006, 08:24 PM
Ms. Gaby, I can totally understand where you're coming from. My mum got my lovie, Indy, from Petsmart as a birthday present for me this past March. When I asked, the sales reps told me that most of the smaller birds they sell are never hand-tamed and haven't interacted with humans much. So Indy was terrified of me for quite a while.The best advice I can give is to try taming and training completely away from the cage. If Tootsie can see it, she won't want to have anything to do with you.

Best of luck!